Monday, May 10, 2010

Media Monitoring. What is that?


This had happened since the first PR module. I remember very well how my lecturer, Ms Vaneetha used to ensure that every single student in class understands how important media monitoring is to an organization. She told us when she worked as a PR practitioner, the first thing she did every morning when she reached her office was to read the newspaper and get what is on in summary for her boss.

And then when i come to this company, i was told that i can only read a newspaper when I have extra time in my lunch hour. Er... ...

The truth is, there is no such thing as 'media monitoring' in Mawar (let's used this as the short form for MRMC + PHM). The most they did was to cut any news about the chairperson (because he is a political member) when they are appointed to. Such practice contributes to my doubt about what exactly media monitoring is in the industry and are they really necessary?

I start researching about it and eventually, I come to the conclusion that benefits of media monitoring are unexpectable and unpredictable. Here are the few key points that I have concluded:

First of all, we have to understand that by the term 'media monitoring' means monitoring the media which is formed by print, electronic, and new media nowadays while World Wide Web is known as one of the most powerful media of today because it simply represents the infinite. easily accessible. information.

The most basic format of media monitoring is of course to search any information or exposure of your company's name. The purpose of this includes to check whether events that you organized was publicized, any positive or negative testimonials are done publicly towards your organization, and how does your organization stands in the market place.

Of course, a PR team can customize it's own objective of media monitoring, then list its relevant keywords for everyone to come back with related results. You may want to concern about what is up with the competitors in the news or any new announcement about the regulations of your industry line today.

Information a.k.a. knowledge. Everyday, there are coverage of new piece of share, opinions, or ideas that one can find in media. As a PR person, one should always be knowledgeable enough to tell his/her profession. Keeping up to date of news is one of the best way. These timely opportunities are always hard to tell and therefore allows new insights of different angle and perspective related to the organization to be gained unexpectedly.

Honestly, I really thought that I understand what media monitoring since my first PR module but not until I did my intern. I would still like to thanks Mawar because in a way it makes me really think about why billions of dollars are spent worldwide each year in media monitoring (Meltwater News, 2008).

Now guess if Miss Vaneetha media monitor her own name? See you guys :)

5 comments:

Fiona Brewer said...

Hey There,
Yes I too have found the benefits and necessity of Media Monitoring and it is a regular occurrence in my current placement.
The Communications and Marketing Manager, (My Boss) at the National Disability Services WA stressed to me on the very first day the importance of Media monitoring. She and her second in charge always skim the papers every morning for any stories that that could be related to health or disability even if it is not directly related to their office. These stories are then filed along with notes so that they are aware of the current issues that relate directly to their non-government agency. It actually quite stunned me on my first day when I saw them sipping coffee and reading the paper however after their methodology and reasoning behind this practise was explained to me it does make perfect sense.
I have also come to realise that NGOs, (non-government organisation), do not have a lot of money to be able to spend on advertorials and big promotions so any media that they can receive is always beneficial.
At my office I have been asked to produce media releases for some local community newspapers and we always ask them to send us a copy of what they print so we can keep that on file as well. All the files at our office are predominantly hard copies and it probably would be more beneficial to create an electronic database however they don’t really have the resources to be able to do this.
As you mentioned yes Media monitoring is not just print media however the mead communications specialists generally use this medium the most. I can only speculate because they don’t have a lot of time capacity on their hands and as mentioned earlier the funding is limited so they don’t really have the human resources to search online media. Any positive media that an NGO can receive is always welcome.

caitlin harris said...

Hi Carmen,

My name's Caitlin Harris and I'm studying at Curtin University, in Perth Western Australia.

I found your blog on media monitoring very interesting, and can understand the shock you must have received finding out reading the paper (one form of media monitoring) must be completed on your break. Seems quite unfair!

I am undertaking my work experience at the Global Good Foundation (GGF) - A Not for Profit Organisation who aim to improve the lives of people affected by domestic violence.

Here's a nice and speedy media monitoring technique that we use called Google alerts;
http://www.google.com/alerts

It's very easy to use and will save you a lot of time sifting through online news reports. You simply enter the topic you wish to monitor, which in our case is "Domestic Violence" and "The Global Good Foundation", and then you will be sent an email anytime a related article pops up.

Hopefully this little tip is of use to you and your organisation. Best of Luck with your internship!

Caitlin Harris

caitlin harris said...

Hi Carmen,

My name's Caitlin Harris and I'm studying at Curtin University, in Perth Western Australia.

I found your blog on media monitoring very interesting, and can understand the shock you must have received finding out reading the paper (one form of media monitoring) must be completed on your break. Seems quite unfair!

I am undertaking my work experience at the Global Good Foundation (GGF) - A Not for Profit Organisation who aim to improve the lives of people affected by domestic violence.

Here's a nice and speedy media monitoring technique that we use called Google alerts;
http://www.google.com/alerts

It's very easy to use and will save you a lot of time sifting through online news reports. You simply enter the topic you wish to monitor, which in our case is "Domestic Violence" and "The Global Good Foundation", and then you will be sent an email anytime a related article pops up.

Hopefully this little tip is of use to you and your organisation. Best of Luck with your internship!

Caitlin Harris

Sharon T said...

I agree that media monitoring is probably one of the most important tools available to us. Not just to see where we are appearing in the media, but also our competition, and other businesses/industries/events that may be of interest to our stakeholders.
I currently have Google Alerts setup for our company name and MD, as well as for keywords in our industry and competitors. Specifically for a separate business we run (www.appointmentsonline.com.au) where there is a lot of competition around and you need to remain at the forefront of that industry to succeed.
Don't forget - it's not just your company you are monitoring - it is anything that can impact or affect your company/industry/staff/stakeholders!
Happy media monitoring everyone.

Sharon

Linda Truong said...

Hi Caitlin,

That is a fantastic tip you just suggested with google alerts. I’ve used it a few times for my media 250 unit and it works a treat!

I would like to add on top of what Carmen added- organizations that are fortunate enough to afford the investment usually acquire media monitor portals that allows you to specify keywords and phrases, much like good alerts, to scan a wider range of mediums to ensure that your organsitions is well informed. The only downturn is that it is quite expensive and out of reach for those who really need it most- the little guys. The advancement of technology is far and wide with things like RSS and twitter. These resources, if used strategically, can achieve results parallel to that of portals. Did I mention that it is FREE? The trend these days is that you can almost connect to any service over the internet at a fraction of the price if not free. There is an abundant of tools and facilities out there that will help you achieve your implementation, administration, planning, book keeping- you name it! In my opinion, the best way to keep track of what is being said about your organization is to communicate it yourself-cleverly of course.

As a PR Practitioner I think it is vital to be monitoring what is going on in the media regardless of whether it is related to your industry or not. Why? To enable us to be proactive in spotting opportunities to innovatively fuse industries together to broaden the awareness or target market. I am always intrigued when two separate entities from different ends of the spectrum are somehow connected in a way that seems absolutely rational and imperative. It always makes for an interesting angle!

Remember it might not affect you, but may affect the people that affect you!

Also makes for great asset in socializing which in Carmen’s previous post proven to be quite critical within our industry.

Cheers,
Linda Truong

Curtin University | Perth | Western Australia