(TTDI)I have a bit of knowledge about how a PR Consultancy operates ( From PR 300) but I did not have any exposure to Inhouse Consultancy, Working in Mantissa College has been an eye opener as to what is the difference between the two giving me a choice as to which one I prefer. Inhouse Pr is quite interesting and part of it turns to divert to Marketing because your work is tailored for one company. You keep the company up with its competitors and try with all you can to make it oustanding from its competitors all at the same time. This is whereby your focus is in satisfying one company's interest, keeping its key publics well taken care of. In Mantissa College I work with a team that is passionate about the College and bringing the best out of it satisfying the students, the staff and the community. So this is how it works, we have a presentation every Month to the president of the school ( Pitch) where we give our recommendations as to what the school needs to work on and ways to attract students to study in Mantissa. We work hard with the media and different clients to bring in students for the courses offered.
Our team consists of different nationalities From Iran, Botswana, Afghanistan and Nigeria. We all work to make the school known across continents and estalishing relationships with the different nations in order to make the school known. This all brings me to the point of your passion, effort, interest, heart is tailored for one company, you have only one client to think of and it is quite interesting because its easier to focus all your attention on one company. Its all about satsfying one company, all efforts to it, that should be your number one goal. However I believe working for a Consultancy is just as interesting but I would leave that one for those who have first hand experince to help me out on this one.
Please share your experiences on Consultancies or Inhouse so that I may have more understanding.
Bless you...
Pearl Ellinah Maje
LUCT, Cyberjaya
Malaysia
6 comments:
Now what you are doing Pearl is attending classes and doing more and more assignments since you are placed in a college.. lol. I am very sure that next semester we will be having professionals in our Public Relations module..
Stay blessed too..
Well done Pearl! The world need us guys. Whatever we have learned lets put it into practice. I edge you guys to join PR blogs, like the one I have joined they send updates to my mail everyday. I don't want to be selfish, do join also. They discuss important issues and this is I update myself about new things in Public Relations Industry.
I cant wait to do PR International because I believe it's best doing it after doing the placement. I am having a lot of new ideas.
@Molly...
lol.I wish that was all I did just continuing on from what i was doing but nope I dont have time to sit down, now I feel like students are my children because I have to take care of them lol.
PR is great and working in Mantissa College has made me realise just how great.
Bless you
@ Boikanyo
Well am impressed at how bright we are shining everyday we do pr in our different placements but whats most important is what step we will take after this, everyone of us should initiate keeping up the standards in their own unique way so we shine even brighter in this Profession.
bless u dear...
Hi Pearl,
I have been working a few different internships and I can understand what you mean. One of my internships, the one I am completing for this unit, is at a Public Relations Consultancy. I have never had any experience working at a consultancy before, but now I have a pretty good idea of how it works.
First of all, there are so many clients! Everyday you are focusing on different companies and different assignments. The one thing I found quite difficult was that each communication strategy had to be catered to that particular client. Sometimes I have to be slightly more creative or straight to the point. Once you have completed a media release for one particular client it’s on to the next. I feel it is a little harder as an intern to do this because I haven’t been around long enough to understand each client’s background and work the consultancy has done for them in the past. When I write media releases for them I feel a little blind- is what I am writing consistent with past media releases? I think it would be a different story if I was there for a longer period of time.
My other internship is the equivalent of in house PR. I meet with the company once a week and discuss new ideas and the direction they would like to head in. You are definitely right in the fact that it has a lot to do with marketing and the overall picture. PR is very specific and is a part of the overall marketing plan, similar to advertising. I have found that working with them I do get a fair bit of experience over different aspects of a business. It is also nice to focus on one client! I feel as though I can see my work through and enjoy the final outcome. I think you also become a lot more aware of the companies needs and what is right for them. You begin to know inside out what the overall long term goal is. I guess the hard part about this is that you can’t get into a routine. It is important to come up with new ideas and different ways to promote the business.
For me it is still a toss up between the two. There are definitely positives and negative to both. It is nice to stay loyal to one client; however, on the other hand it can be exciting to work for different clients. Either way, I have found it really insightful to experience both settings.
Ali Sims
As for me I never had experience or exposure to In house PR but I can say I get the picture of how it operates as you explain it. I was working for PR Consultancy. I will say there are more clients which all have to given the best service. And also I will say PR Consultancy is quite interesting and yet challenging. You have to always come up with new ways of doing things more especially projects because you deal with so many clients everyday.
Working for PR Consultancy has made me understand that it is for people who are willing to think out of the box. It really needs innovative and creative ideas, there will be events and campaigns which will need you to plan. I remember while we were planning for GO-11 Indie Concert Event we had to come up with something new which will attract or get people's attention.
It also need someone who is willing to go up and down without getting tired of it. Sometimes you will have to attend more than one meeting in a day with your clients.
I think you will get the a picture of how a PR Consultancy looks like.
Post a Comment