Tuesday, July 13, 2010

THE OUTCOMES OF WHAT WE HAVE SOWN!!!!!

Hello....

This marks the 5th week of my internship, and when I look back to where i have been before starting my internship I have acquired a whole lot which i will forever be grateful for.I have actually seen the real meaning behind team work, the importance of meeting deadlines on time and having each other's back in an organization.Even though work is allocated individually, we work in one project and ensure that all comes out to a total success. A good example is the GO 11 event which was a total success as a whole lot of people had turned up.Two week prior to the event we had to distribute flyers to different states so as to inform as many people as possible which many responded to them in a positive manner.

I will admit, event management may be a bit demanding and pressurizing as one has to aim at getting as many people as possible to attend , at the same time ensuring that all is in place,which is not easy, but with determination all is possible.However, I did manage to keep up , which in turn i got more detailed information about event management in the real business world.

In the process I learnt that Event Management is divided into three sections, which are Pre-event post mortem, Event day and Post event post mortem.Well let me explain them in detail, post mortem is all the preparations that are carried out before the event which include sending out invites, which I was assigned to do.Here I had to call the media and confirmed if they will make it to the event, which was not challenging as I have been dealing with the media since i started my intern.

On the Event day we had to arrive 3 hours before the event start so as to get familiar with the surroundings and to welcome the media.The event went as planned as all was smoothly done and people did enjoy themselves.

Lastly, the post event is actually the outcomes of what happened during the event which includes cross checking the media which did attend and those that were invited but did not manage to turn up.

Adding to that, I would love to get your views, more especially from those who have had their share on any event planning(Since you started your intern), what you think about it, and how it has actually helped you to discover some of your hidden potentials.

Wishing YOU all the best

Botsalo kahiya LUCT

6 comments:

Molly Tsima said...

Well, I have attended only one event ever since I started my internship and I used to see what exactly needs to be prepared. You arrived 3hours before the event started, I thought we arrived more that early (2hours before the event). The 2hours seemed to be 2 minutes.. we walked high and low to make sure our guests are happy and comfortable. It was tiring yes but the outcomes were so great as we can now see our even appearing in the media.

Tshono Sendi and Lyah Baithutile said...

wow Miss Botsalo i must you are really engaged in your placement, the things you did are so amazing and for sure PR to you will never be the same again.It seems as if you have used what we learnt at the Uni and applied it in the working field, brilliant approach.

As for the event, i would say its not easy to plan at the same time is easy.From my experience on event management,i would say time is crucial.Pre-planning is important in achieving your goal of making it a success.
Being part of the event crew made me realize that in the field of PR
Is all about team work,in fact a dedicated crew ,that is the reason we do group works at the UNI, its more like being prepared for the working field.
The event that i was involved in, i did enjoy myself because everything ran smoothly,as everything was done in time and the outcomes were great because our client was pleased to see a large number of people showing up.
To us that a successful event management, because we put our clients first right on point.

Botsalo Kahiya said...

Hello Tshono

I totally agree with you, event management does want people who are hardworking and committed to what they do as it requires a whole lot from an individual. During our major event, all went smoothly and was a success because everyone had played their role...and that's were team work comes in. In the past weeks, I have realised the importance of teamwork more especially in the business world. It is known that effective team work does produce good results which is totally true as this can be related to the group assignments we normally do at Uni which have actually proven to me that they are contributing a whole lot :-).

Anonymous said...

I came for internship without any knowledge of internship and now I am loaded. In an organisation it is all about unity and corporation because if one person is not effective it will cripple the whole group.

Event planning involves putting your heart to the event that is when it will be a success. It also needs having passion for the event thats when I will assure you that the event is going to be a success.

Botsalo Kahiya said...

@ Hi Molly
Yep that's why we are normally told to be early before the event start, more especially when the company is the one organizing. This is because we have to do the set up and ensure that all is in place and you right about time and the draining part but at the end of the day our hard work pays off!!!
Good Luck (**,)

Trish said...

event planning is such a head ache, you have to make everything from scratch is up to par,,,one mistake you are gone, proper seating of guests at events,hey, following protocol,,one mistake your valuable client is gone!!! keep it up....