Last week I completed my first week interning at Raw Fashion Agency in Sydney. I have moved to Sydney for the next three weeks to complete my internship over the winter break. It has been hard being away from home however Sydney is fantastic, cold but fantastic!
On Friday the 25th of June I had my induction with Faith, the Director of the company and I was introduced with all of the administrative duties and told what would be required of me regarding daily responsibilities. The next Monday, a new PR Manager started with the company so there was a lot of everyone getting settled into their work and still going through administrative tasks.
Raw Fashion has three other interns currently, one who is in on Wednesdays who has been here for the past 6 months, another on Thursdays and Fridays who is also from Perth (it’s great having someone here in the same position as myself), and another girl who will be starting when I leave.
I did not expect to be given the responsibilities that I had, rather than being given small tasks which are very irrelevant to PR practises, I had helped the Director to write a press release for a charity that the company supports, pulled clothing for magazines including “Shop Till You Drop”, “NW” and “Nine to Five” (a Sydney based publication) which I also sent to them. Also, I created weekly newsletters that we send out to our clients and are at the bottom of emails in the signature every time we send out emails. The majority of my tasks require Photoshop experience which is great because I can get really creative with the layouts.
Another task I have been given is researching what certain celebrities are wearing so we can pitch out current designs to them. I found out that Natalie Bassingthwaite from “So You Think You Can Dance” has worn a dress from one of our client’s collection. Currently we are working on getting our clothes on “Dancing with the Stars” presenter, Sonia Kruger.
Other research I have done involves finding freelance writers we can create relationships with, current celebrity clothing trends and what KStew and RPatz wore to the LA Premier of “Twilight Saga: Eclipse”.
My major task for this week was to research into Sydney based blogs that we could contact and possibly have our designers featured in a blog post. This is where my university learning came into help me, I had to create a profile on each, create a SWOT on each and make some recommendations on whether we should pursue them or not and I need to present this to the rest of my colleagues in tomorrow’s staff meeting.
I love working for Raw and this is definitely the path I want to follow once I have graduated and I am looking forward to the next three weeks of great, challenging work.
I will keep you posted on my success with the blog presentation!
xoxo Sydney girl.
2 comments:
Wow sounds like you are having a blast in the work place sounds like a very busy company. Am interested in communicating with you through this blog mostly because you are doing inhouse PR, a lot of people are doing their internship in consultancies and so I would like to hear more of your experiences and share mine with you if thats ok? . so i can get an insight on both perspectives
Thanks for commenting! No problem i will be posting another blog in the next few days as there has been so much going on.
Post a Comment