I have now completed a week and a half of my internship. I am enjoying the hands on work in real situations. I am finding that I am learning a lot from watching what PR consultants do everyday and I am getting a feel of what the work is like. Even observing how phones should be answered, inquiries made and information given has certainly helped me have the confidence to do the same thing.
Some of the duties completed have included viewing promotional websites and choosing appropriate promotional items for the client Novotel Ningaloo Resort, Exmouth. I have arranged to have a banner displayed and brochures distributed at an event in Fremantle so that guests become aware of the resort. I have also viewed movie vision clips, tagged them and selected the best parts for the client to use in a variety of outlets. For example to produce DVDs and website clips. Checking images of the Novotel Ningaloo Resort from my May trip for advertorials for outlets such as Scoop Magazine has been one of my tasks. I have learnt that when dealing with the media they need to have the images and information by a strict deadline and how important these deadlines are to be met.
I’ve found that my earlier visit to Exmouth where I met the general manager and associated people has made the phone calls with these people a lot easier and I understand who and what type of resort I am working with. It is important, especially in Public Relations, to know what you are working with and to build relationships with clients and understand their situation.
I am really enjoying taking part in this internship and learning more each week. I would advise every student not just those doing Public Relations to do some type of work experience during their course.
1 comment:
Hi Joelle,
Your internship sounds very interesting and a lot of fun from the practical side of things.
Like you, working within my organisation I have similarly picked up on the little things for example how to answer phones and reply to emails. These assets are so valuable and make a huge difference when working within a professional environment.
The work you've been doing sounds exciting. It is great they are enabling you to undertake such tasks, by the sounds of it you are getting a lot of hands on experience which is invaluable.
I can imagine deadlines can be stressful but it is a good thing to experience now so you can expect what to come from possible future employment.
As I've learnt from day one at university, networking is so important! It's good to see you are building relationships and learning so much.
I look forward to reading more about your internship as I too am learning from your experiences and from a consultancy point of view.
All the best
Averil
Post a Comment