Friday, August 20, 2010

Wedding Expo Weekend

This week I’ve been in the office on Thursday and Friday (today) as usual, but will also be required to work over the weekend as the e-Bridal expo has arrived and Dynomedia will be attending to promote it’s video production and photography services directly to prospective clients (brides and grooms to be). It’s incredible how fast it came!! As you can imagine the last couple days have been quite busy in the office, making last minute changes, picking up equipment for the set-up and finalizing various details.

I think we could have been more organized for the event – brochures are not yet completed – and the expo is tomorrow, but they are meant to be collected today. Don’t ask! Really there is not much myself or Monique could have done to avoid this situation as we did try to instill that this needed to be done, but it kept being put off by my manager for the re-brand. Apart from this, everything has been attended to. We have our uniforms, albeit the wrong sizes, but we’ll manage.

Tomorrow will also be my first time at a wedding expo, so I’m actually quite interested to observe what the atmosphere is like. I hope the experience does not put me off marriage  - as future brides have a reputation for being quite nasty during the planning stage of the wedding – Bridezilla anyone? Fingers crossed everyone will be nice and cheery at the event. Essentially, my job, along with Monique, will be too engage with the guests at the expo, answer their questions, promote our services and ideally secure bookings. As I’ve not had much experience in face-to-face sale type situations, I’m hoping I’ll be able to pick it up quite fast. I should add that I’ve had my share of customer service work – but more hospitality focused. I suppose the same techniques apply; being presentable, approachable, friendly, and attending to the customers needs.

I’m interested to see what the numbers will be like on Saturday, given it is also Election Day; many people may opt to go on the Sunday instead.

-------Oh just in…the promotional brochures have arrived! Wipes brow*

Aside from the Expo, I’ve just been working on the Perth Mag website and attending to emails, submissions and social media. For Perth Mag I also had to put together the submission guidelines and Submission Release Form which included writing up terms and conditions. This required me to put into practice a writing style that is a lot more formal and official, as well as look into everything that needs to be included in such a document.

I’ll be sure to update here before I finish my placement summarizing my expo experience. In any case, it will be an interesting way to bring my placement to a close – the Sunday will be my 21st day and I’ll be in a few days after that to round off my work for Perth Mag and do some evaluation work on the expo.

Have a good weekend everyone!

No comments: