Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sponsorship

Hello People,

I guess it has been a while and i should update you on what I've been working on.

Well I've been at the UN AA for almost a month and its been amazing run, not only am I known as the cool new intern , they want me to get business cards. Makes me really feel like part of the organisation.

So I've been working on this Event plan or strategy and its a bit of a hustle because not only do i not know what exactly is happening so does every one else , which puts us at a major stale mate in the development process.

But I know once we get down to business it will all avalanche into place and this will be one of the biggest events I will ever run.

word of advice for those that are willing to or currently work in the NGO industry, when it comes to looking for sponsor organisations to cover one of your events or even the whole organisation as a whole, it is important to not be narrow minded and jump on the big name companies out there all the time.
Why you ask?
Well sometimes the big organisations can have had a past that is not something your organisation wants to be associated with, for example i just learnt that United Nations in a hole has been encouraged not to be involved with Nestle. I know right!
Apparently due to their past issues it is still like walking on egg shells but at the same time it is a big debatable subject.

Then what about BP, wouldn't it be a smart idea to get the to be involve in something humanitarian amidst their current situation, hey didn't they even sponsor the US president and his family to go to the Gulf on holiday and publicise it? Wouldn't they be wiling to splurge?

But i digress.(or am i just creating opportunity for discussion, that is the question?)

My point in all this sometimes depending on where you are, especially if you are an international NGO, showing that you are associated with the local companies, sometimes shows that you care about the greater of the community that you are associated with.
If that makes sense.

To another great couple pf weeks.

Have fun people,
Your African brother

1 comment:

ninaelise said...

Hi Kim!

Great to see you are enjoying your internship! I love how you relate your experiences with the topics we had on our last semester presentation! E.g. nestle and BP and all those crisis situation..., I surely agree with you on the importance of thinking it through before running after the "big names".

When it comes to BP, I guess you don't want to have their past actions on your company, but on the other hand I believe it is great that they at least try to sponsor good cases to try to make it up again? I see the whole Obama trip a bit weird, if that is the case it feels a bit purchased from his side!

But yeah, BP might have troubles finding the correct causes to support as many will feel very skeptical towards them!

Anyway, enjoy the rest of your internship, Kim! I'm sure you love being the "cool intern" :-)

Nina