Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Water Corporation Experience

Hi Guys,

Well I've currently been completing my prac at the Water Corporation and I'm excited to share my experience with everyone in my first blog post.

I just completed my fifth day of experience and have had a fantastic time with not only the communications department but the whole Water Corporation community.

Since beginning my experience at the Water Corp I have been involved in a variety of exciting PR projects that have exposed me to the big wide world of Public Relations. On my first day I was put in charge of controlling the organisation's twitter account (http://twitter.com/watercorpwa). I was also familiarised with the company's media connections such as the West Australian. The Water Corp PR dept email the West daily with rainfall updates which are then published in the next day's paper, which I now take care of.

On my second day at the Water Corp I was given a role that I'm currently working on and will do so for a while longer. A major strategy currently being processed involves changing paper bills to an e-billing service. My role throughout this strategy is to come up with a number of PR ideas that will improve community relations in relation to the project. I have been able to refer and put into action a number of theoretical practices I was forever taught throughout my years studying PR at uni. This was my first real taste of why my PR studies are such an important tool to have when working in a real communications environment.

I've also been lucky enough to have a taste of online communications by helping transform a webpage on the company website, which plans to be up and running in a number of weeks.

Whilst experiencing the PR side of business I have also been exposed to a number of corporate experiences throughout my time at the Water Corp. These include a variety of meetings with business execs and fellow media managers. My own manager Claire has been extremely helpful in exposing me to ways in which communication departments run within an organisation.

All in all I've had a great introduction into the world of PR and look forward to continuing my time at an intuitive and successful organisation.

Emily

No comments: