Hi Guys,
Well I'm almost half way through my placement at the Water Corporation. My time there has been awesome, I've already learnt so much about the business of communications and media.
Since my last post I've been busy doing a number of media projects. This includes working on an e-billing strategy, conversing with media partners such as The West and community newspapers, editing speeches and even dabbling in marketing roles. All these assignments have contributed to furthering my public relations experience and I feel I've been successful in delivering effective PR for the Water Corporation.
One thing I've noticed since begining my time at the Water Corporation is the passion employers uphold. Water is such a vital resource that requires responsible management. It's great to see an organisation's people so passionate about their job, making sure the most effective plans are in place to ensure water conservation.
Last week I was lucky enough to go on a tour of the Mundaring Weir. Even though the weir supplies only a small proporation of water to the Perth community, it still needs to be carefully monitored. I've noticed a lot of media enquiries the Corporation recieves involves the weir's current situation i.e. dam levels, water efficiency and contamination. The tour was a great opportunity to gain a clearer perspective on the type of statistics I hand out when replying to these media enquiries.
I previously mentioned in my last post the type of media/communications the Water Corporation is involved with. I've been able to experience a range of these areas since starting. I've most recently worked with marketing and community relations. It's definitly expanded my awareness of the communications field. From helping organise water competitions and prizes to notifying southern communities of planned projects, it has all positively contributed to my placement experience.
I will be sure to keep you updated on my future endeavours with the Corporation and look forward to hearing your placement experiences.
Emily
1 comment:
Hi Emily,
It sounds like you're having a really nice internship with the water corporation.
It must have been a great experience to visit Mundaring Weir and really understand the motives driving PR at the Water Corp. I bet it's a lot easier to deal with the media now, since you've been to the Weir and actually experienced physically the dire condition that Perth's water is in.
I think that it is so important to really have a passion for what you are working for and spending so many hours toward, it would be a great boost to your morale to see how enjoyable the world of work can be.
I hope that your internship continues to be so interesting.
Best wishes, Katie.
Post a Comment