So here we are 10 days away from the conference and the pressure is on! Everyone is flat out busy trying to get their jobs done in time and have everything ready to make sure this conference is a huge success.
Aside from the general duties that I’m given every now and then, my main responsibility is putting the conference booklet together which will be given to all the delegates and guests attending the conference.
The ACEN conference booklet main content will be the abstracts of academic papers that will be discussed at the conference, with the majority of the papers focusing on “Work Integrated Learning” which is the conference’s main topic.
Even though 90% of the booklet is the abstracts, they turned out to be the easiest part to include as I received the exact abstracts that needed to go into the booklet which made it a simple ‘copy and paste’ job for me.
The remaining 10% of the book is the time consuming part. Other than the abstracts the booklet will include welcoming letters from ACEN executives, lists of the committees organising the conference as well as the members on the ACEN board. The booklet will also include the logos and some information about the major sponsors who have helped fund this conference as well as a full conference program.
Two other main sections will be included and they are: Conference information and social activities.
Under conference information, I had to include information that will be useful to all local, national and international guests. Some of the information included the registration process, audio visual facilities at Curtin University and car parking at Curtin, transport information to and from Curtin as well as some general information for international guests.
Floor plans of the different lecture theatres in which the conference will be held were also included to make sure guests find their way around campus. I also had to include a map outlining Curtin University’s location in relation to Perth CBD as well as a map of the Government House Ballroom, in which the conference dinner will be held at.
This brings us to the social activities section of the booklet. I had to make Perth out to be one of the most exciting cities a man can visit. Luckily we have some pre organised social activities for guests to attend including a Conference dinner, multiple book launches and a Conference Soiree. These events will keep the guests busy for some time, and for the rest of their visit, I made sure Murray Street sounds like Hollywood Blvd. and Northbridge sound like Vegas. The guests are in form a bit of a surprise; however I still believe that the list of suggested restaurants, pubs, events and nightlife we have given guests will be more than enough.
After a month of chasing after programs, welcome letters, sponsor logos and little bits and pieces that need to go into the booklet I’ve finally received all the information and then the process of writing up, formatting and organising all this data was on its way.
Finally, I had to liaise between the printers and the graphic designer who’s helping me with the design of the booklet. The goal is to have the very final copy of the booklet ready for printing a week before the conference which will give us some time to examine a printed copy and make any changes if necessary. 4 days to go, and we are on track to get it done on time.
So far, my placement has been great, I’ve been working with a highly productive team and everything has been, more or less, going as planned.
That’s all for now, the following blog will be all about the conference!!
Cheers,
Issa Maimoun.
No comments:
Post a Comment