Hi everyone, my name is Jacqui Roberts and for those of you who don’t know me I am currently in my third year at Curtin University completing a double major in Public Relations and Tourism and Events Management. As I am not officially enrolled in the professional practice unit until next semester, this is my first blog as I only commenced my internship two weeks ago.
I was lucky enough to see a blackboard post from one of my lecturers’ who was advertising “A great PR opportunity, not to be missed.” After reading the details about the internship, I sent through my application and resume that same morning; that afternoon I then received a phone call asking me to attend an interview and by the end of that week I had secured an internship with Riley Mathewson Public Relations Consultancy. It all happened so fast and I felt very privileged to have been chosen for such a great opportunity.
I commenced my internship the following Monday and my first day at the consultancy was thoroughly enjoyable and I received a very warm welcome. The office is located in Subiaco where I work with three PR consultants and one office manager. Instantly I was in the swing of things, being shown the computer system and the tools around the office, and being given my first task relating to social media. The great thing about working in a small office is I get to observe the workings of each person, learning about their specific role within the company and the different projects they’re working on. The consultants at Riley Mathewson are very enthusiastic and keen to have me involved in their work, which I am very lucky to be a part of as it is already opening my eyes to “real life” PR tasks.
I look forward to the next few months, completing my internship at Riley Mathewson Public Relations as I am guaranteed to gain great experience within the PR industry and invaluable insight into the workings of a successful public relations consultancy.
1 comment:
That sounds great Jac! What an experience, and definitely not an opportunity to be missed! Riley Mathewson is a very well known PR Consultancy in Perth and I am jealous to say the least for the experience that you will gain there and the people that you'll get to meet.
I really look forward to seeing your updates on how the internship is panning out and what you have learnt. Best of luck for the next few months, not that you will need it!
Post a Comment