Hi Everyone,
I have now completed my second week of my internship at the Princess Margaret Hospital Foundation. So far, my placement has been really fantastic. I've been involved in a lot if different activities and projects at the Foundation, and I've learnt so much already.
In the first week at the Foundation, it was all systems go to get everything prepared for the annual Bear By Night Ball, which was held at NIB Stadium on Saturday 18th September this year. In the lead up to the ball, I was assisting the Events department with all the last minute jobs that needed to be done before the big night. I helped organized the items that were up for auction on the night, by making sure all the descriptions were correct and all the items were accounted for. I also helped organize the signage for the different areas at the event and worked on the seating and guest list numbers.
From what I have been told, the ball was a huge success as always. Quite a few people dressed up to the theme of Happy Days, and danced all night to songs on the jukebox and the band, The Black Sorrows.
Other then helping out with the ball, I have been involved in some one on one work with the Hospital. The PMH Foundation fundraised money for the oncology ward at PMH, with which they were able to create a great garden for the children, many of who spend most of their time inside the hospital. Last Friday was the opening for the new Oncology Garden, where a GWN film crew and a Sunday Times photographer were in attendance. It was great to get some hands on experience with journalists and the media, as well as being able to interact with the children from the oncology ward. This day especially I was able to experience first hand all the fantastic work that the PMH Foundation do, and this made me feel very accomplished.
The next big event planned for the PMH Foundation is the John Hughes Big Walk. This year The Big Walk is taking place on October 31st at Burswood Park. I have attached the link to the website so everyone can have a look at what it is all about, and if you have time, come down and help raise money for the kids at PMH!
John Hughes Big Walk
So far, with the Big Walk, I have been perfecting my phone communication skills by contacting many companies around Perth, such as gyms and schools and asking them if they are interested in displayed posters and brochures advertising the Big Walk.
So far I think that organization, confidence and experience are the three vital traits that are needed to succeed in this business. All of which I am increasing everyday.
Hope everything is going well with everyone else,
Simone
I have now completed my second week of my internship at the Princess Margaret Hospital Foundation. So far, my placement has been really fantastic. I've been involved in a lot if different activities and projects at the Foundation, and I've learnt so much already.
In the first week at the Foundation, it was all systems go to get everything prepared for the annual Bear By Night Ball, which was held at NIB Stadium on Saturday 18th September this year. In the lead up to the ball, I was assisting the Events department with all the last minute jobs that needed to be done before the big night. I helped organized the items that were up for auction on the night, by making sure all the descriptions were correct and all the items were accounted for. I also helped organize the signage for the different areas at the event and worked on the seating and guest list numbers.
From what I have been told, the ball was a huge success as always. Quite a few people dressed up to the theme of Happy Days, and danced all night to songs on the jukebox and the band, The Black Sorrows.
Other then helping out with the ball, I have been involved in some one on one work with the Hospital. The PMH Foundation fundraised money for the oncology ward at PMH, with which they were able to create a great garden for the children, many of who spend most of their time inside the hospital. Last Friday was the opening for the new Oncology Garden, where a GWN film crew and a Sunday Times photographer were in attendance. It was great to get some hands on experience with journalists and the media, as well as being able to interact with the children from the oncology ward. This day especially I was able to experience first hand all the fantastic work that the PMH Foundation do, and this made me feel very accomplished.
The next big event planned for the PMH Foundation is the John Hughes Big Walk. This year The Big Walk is taking place on October 31st at Burswood Park. I have attached the link to the website so everyone can have a look at what it is all about, and if you have time, come down and help raise money for the kids at PMH!
John Hughes Big Walk
So far, with the Big Walk, I have been perfecting my phone communication skills by contacting many companies around Perth, such as gyms and schools and asking them if they are interested in displayed posters and brochures advertising the Big Walk.
So far I think that organization, confidence and experience are the three vital traits that are needed to succeed in this business. All of which I am increasing everyday.
Hope everything is going well with everyone else,
Simone
1 comment:
Hey Simone!
Glad you are enjoying your time at the foundation. I also completed my placement at the foundation over the mid year break!! It was really hard going from exams straight into work placement with little time off, however my time at the placement has been so valuable for my learning. I guess you can agree we have been really lucky at the foundation to get a real 'hands on approach' to what working in the public relations industry is going to be like. I have completed my final report and reflecting back on what I have done at the foundation has been really exciting, challenging and rewarding. Rewarding because of the good that the foundation does for the community-while I was on placement I really thought my contributions to the foundation helped improved the lives of W.A children.
In my opinion the foundation really works around public relations-raising awareness in the community in order to raise funds is what the foundation stands for. The different departments (events, fund-raising, corporate sponsorship) all contribute to public relations. I guess we are really lucky to get a placement at the foundation because they really have given me the opportunity to have a hands on approach to the public relations industry.
I wish you the best with the rest of your placement!
Ashleigh
Post a Comment