Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Dealing with stakeholders

Hi Everyone,

My name is Suesha Rana from Curtin in Bentley (Australia). I've been doing PR placement in the Department of Regional Development and Land, which is a government department. Here at the State Land section we in charge of the the Dampier to Bunbury Natural Gas Pipeline (DBNGP) Corridor, which is the longest gas pipeline in Australia.

I am part of the communications team involved in contacting VARIOUS stakeholders in order to review and release a new Land Use Guideline (LUG) that will be distributed to our stakeholders.

So far many flaws have been found in the previous LUG which has deterred our stakeholders, especially land owners from reading vital information about maintating saftely around the pipeline corridor.

Land owners are one of our most important stakeholders and talking about the pipeline has become a rather sensitive issue. When speaking to land owners I have learnt to become more tactful in my approach and hone in on the fact that we are here to help prevent accidents and damage happening to their property and the pipeline through the use and review of the LUG.

After speaking to land owners I have realised there are very few ways in which we can educate them about pipeline safety and such. They detest the idea of seminars and town meeting, pamphlets will be thrown with junk mail, fridge magnets and stickers will only contain emergency number and not other important information and most of the stakeholders are above the age of 45 and not always techincally savvy which means internet/website isn't the best option either.

The LUG that I'm working to improve on can be found on the link below and suggestion on improving are welcome:

http://lands.rdl.wa.gov.au/stateland/15565.asp

Wish me luck as I approach the government bodies involved in this :)

Blog soon,
Suesha

No comments: