Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Media Mania

Hi Guys,

Well the experience is going well, I am really enjoying my time at the Water Corporation. There is always something new to do everyday I go into work. I'm over half way through and It's actually a really sad thought to think I'll be out of there in 8 days.

So at the moment I'm concentrating on a media kit the Water Corporation needs to prepare in regards to a new recycling water plant. The kit will include a statement, fact sheet, key messages, photographs and something I never knew organisations used until a few days ago...a usb drive. A number of publications, facts/figures and reports relative to the plant will be included on the thumbdrive. The kits will be handed out to media during a tour of the plant proposed for later in the year. I guess It's a good example of how society (particuarly media organisations) are moving into a technologically develeoped world. The kit has been really interesting to compose as I'm able to gain a greater understanding of what is involved in the project and the way it will improve the state's water supply. Recycling water is a great innovation already being used in some cities around the world, so the Water Corporation is doing a great job in moving WA forward, particulary in a drying climate.

Last week I got to help out the media marketing department by arranging a number of show bags, which were given out to children at a Scitech day the WC hosted. This was a particulary fun job and shows how well a company's public relations can be distributed through society, even if it includes young children.

Last week I also got a taste of the temperamental relationship a communications department shares with media networks. Every Wednesday I undertake my journalism work placement at 6PR radio. This particular Wednesday, WA's water situation was under media scrutiny. I was sent out to media conferences the government and opposition were holding to discuss the state of Perth's water. This meant I wrote a number of stories regarding water and government iniatives - good and bad - which went to air. This obviously meant a busy day for WC employees. A useful media program called Media Portal (which I'm sure many of you also use) is followed by the WC helping us track all WC media reported on programs including TV, radio, net and print. I follow this program daily and so on my Thursday at the WC I read all the stories broadcasted about the WC, including my own! It was so bizarre - but I was glad all stories written by myself were as objective as possible, clearing myself of any conflict of interest. This was my first real taste of how volatile relationships are between PR organisations and media.

I hope everyone else's experience is going grand and you're making the most of this practice!

Emily

1 comment:

JacintaLS said...

Wow! This is so interesting, that both your work placements almost clashed during your time there!

Was it difficult to manage your conflicts of interest or did you find it relatively easy to put both your journo hat and your PR hat on and distance yourself from both of them?

I don't think you could of asked for a better work experience opportunity in this instance, you get to see both sides of the coin!