Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Glitz and Glamour of media events, plus the hardwork that goes to making it happen

During my stint at AONIA, I was exposed to numerous events, however, the PWNT Networking Night and the Press conference at the SIWW’10 (Singapore International Water Week 2010) was the most memorable.


This networking night will be attended by the company’s trade partners, trade and local media. The planning started at least 6 months before; I was roped in to do research on venues where we can hold the event. The task was fun but challenging, as the client wanted a venue, which is near water as client was a Water Technology Company, as well as somewhere with a great view of the Singapore Nightscape. It took a good amount of googling (Thank god for google) as well as asking around my colleagues for recommendations. We finally settled on the picturesque venue, ONE on the Bund located at the iconic Clifford Pier that has been refurbished into a place to wine and dine.

After booking the location, my other colleagues were tasked to settle dinner menu, the performance and other event management. I was tasked to collate a list of invitees including the media that will be invited to this event. The list of media was simple yet tough, simple in the sense it was much shorter than the usual media list as it was focus on trade media, therefore not many media qualify as Water Technology trade media. Next, comes the part where I personally feel can be a real daunting task for some that is fresh in the PR field. The call downs for RSVP for the event after sending media invites. In order to sound as professional as possible on the phone, I wrote down a quick script to ensure I cover all points necessary that help out with my confidence on the phone. From this incident I learnt that even as technology progresses and now media invites can be in electronic format, PR professionals still are required to call the media and personally get them to confirm their RSVPs.

As the date of the official event draws closer, there is a lot more preparation for the events section, like getting all collaterals printed, corporate doorgifts which was a 2gb thumbdrive and getting venue ready. On the date of the event, I was glad Murphy’s Law was absent that night. I was in-charge of the media registration; I also had the responsibility to introduce the media to the PWN Technologies CEO and various dignitaries to the media.

The networking night at One on The Bund was a blast, however, the company could not really rest as we not only had to finish packing up the venue but we also had to the press conference which was three days later. The first thing I had to do was to confirm with the Debbie, the PWNT VP of communications the speeches for the press conference. The next issue on my agenda was confirming the attending media by calling them and reconfirm with them the time of Press conference. Before I knew it, it was D-Day, my first press conference it was definitely an eye-opener as SIWW 2010 was such a big event, there were more than 20 press conference held just that day. That how busy the media was that day; we had to get the press room set up as we were only allocated 1 hour to have the press conference before it was another company coming in for their press conference.

One we got in the organizers for SIWW 2010 bought us to the room and once it was empty I was task to go in and set up nametags for the dignitaries present for the press conference and getting the pens and MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) set on the table. It went smoothly the only glitch that happen was that the tea snacks that was prepare for the media and dignitaries after the press conference was cancelling without our knowledge and we had to bring them to the café near as a solution.

That’s all for my first press conference, it was an excellent learning experience , I recommend those was are in a PR placement to try their best and attend or even help organize one. Before I end this blog I have attach some pictures from the Networking Night and press conference.

No comments: