Tuesday, September 7, 2010

What I've learnt so far.....

I am now 7 weeks into my internship with Perth Zoo, and still thoroughly enjoying myself! I am just going to warn you all that this blog is going to be a looooong one; I have learnt A LOT over the last few weeks.

A couple of weeks ago I made the daunting transition from completing my internship project from the comfort of home, to joining the Marketing/Business Development Team in the offices at the Zoo.

I have already learnt many valuable lessons from working in an office environment, because it is something I have never done before, this is already one of the clear benefits of completing this unit.

The first valuable lesson I learnt is; bring your own mug! On my first day I really wanted a cup of tea to help me concentrate and to warm me up, and ended up having to borrow one from the kitchen, not knowing who it belonged to. I was worried that someone was going to come looking for their mug and not be able to find it because the obnoxious intern had taken it! From then on, I have been sure to pack my mug in my handbag every week to avoid any possible awkwardness.

The second valuable lesson I have learnt since joining the team at the office is how to stay focused. The Perth Zoo office is a very busy place, there are constantly people coming in and out and meeting various members of the team for different things each day – this sometimes makes it difficult to continue on with my work when people around me are chatting, organising things or making phone calls. I have learnt to try to block out the buzz of the office and carry on with what I am doing and although initially it was difficult, it is definitely becoming easier.

Thirdly, I have learnt just how important it is to stay on top of emails. I was extremely excited when I was given my Perth Zoo email address, which meant I could now communicate with my co-workers much more easily. With this however, comes the task of replying to relevant emails and deleting those that are irrelevant. This week showed me just how time consuming emails can actually be. As I am only in the office once a week, the emails build up over the week until the next time I am there and I found myself spending a solid 45 minutes just sifting through everything I had been sent. I can definitely say that keeping on top of emails when I get out into the ‘real world’ will be a MUST!

My project for Perth Zoo requires me to develop an implantation plan for effective community communications; I have been working tirelessly to research and develop this project, and met up with my supervisor this week to discuss my progress. I was a little bit shocked and scared to find out that I have been a little too ‘academic’ in my approach to this project.

Having spent the last 4 years of my life at Curtin, I have become very accustomed to the way lecturers and tutors expect your assignments and projects to be. It was amazing to find out that I will not (unless I go into academia) have to produce an academic style report once I leave uni. Ceri worked through my project with me, to pull out the parts that were useful and heading in the right direction and helped me to make my project more ‘corporate’ and CEO friendly. Ceri offered invaluable insight into what CEO’s and management will expect of me in the real world, and I am extremely grateful to have had his guidance – otherwise I would not have known that the work I was producing may not have ever been looked at by the CEO and manager’s because it is too ‘fluffy’ (as I was told)!

I am really happy that I have been shown something so useful, something that will benefit me in my career and I would not have been able to learn something like this, without the PR 393 experience. I would seriously struggle to produce something worthwhile in the corporate world, straight out of uni, if I hadn’t had the opportunity to learn and practice the skills I have learnt throughout my degree – as I have had in this internship.

My supervisor also showed me this great website where you can see papers and presentations that people all over the world have done, it’s a great one if you want to gather a broader view on a topic, or you need a starting point for something. The website is called Slideshare (www.slideshare.net) and I have found it to be extremely useful to help brainstorm my project, and help to guide my research.

Overall, the experience so far has been a little daunting, but more than anything, very helpful. Without this unit, and without the opportunity to go into a workplace and see what goes on, and be part of a proper, real life, experienced PR and Marketing team, I think that my experience in my first career job would be a lot more challenging and scary than it will be now. I feel so lucky!

Anyway, I think you have all heard enough from me now.

I’m sure there will be more to report back next week. I hope you’re all enjoying your placements as much as me!

Elle :)

6 comments:

Tonya said...

Hey Elle,

Sounds like you are having an awesome time!

Can you tell me a bit more about how you made your work less academic and more corporate?

Thanks,
Tonya.

Elle Hardy said...

Hmmm... Well my report before the changes focused more on describing the project, reviewing some academic reports,talking about the role of Zoo's etc. Now my report is more about the PURPOSE of the report - why I am doing the research and what it will mean for Perth Zoo, giving some clear strategies for improvement and direction and going as far as to actually define and describe market segments.

Mostly it was just getting rid of the literature review kind of stuff. When we are submitting assignments for uni they like us to have references to support everything we are saying so that they know we have done the research, my report for the zoo doesn't really need that kind of material. My supervisor wanted me to focus more on telling them about what I found out, rather than 'this person said this', 'that person said that'; he wanted me to get straight to the point and tell them what I had found out, and how that will impact the zoo. It's a little bit hard to explain, but I guess you can look at it as more of a practical approach to research, rather than just summing up what other people have found out and how that agrees with what I am trying to say. I hope this helps, like I said- its a little hard to explain without showing you the report before and after the changes.

Hope your placement is going well!

Cheers,
Elle :)

Janica said...

Hi Elle,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at your placement with us. I really enjoy reading your post!

I definitely agree with you regarding the mug thing. I had such awkward moments at work during the first day as well. Also, thank you for sharing the website. I had a look at it and found it useful too. Will definitely use it for brainstorming.

All the very best for your placement!


Cheers,
Janica

Joelle1001 said...

Hi Elle

I found reading your blog fascinating. I love reading about other’s experiences and relating what I do and don’t have in common with my internship. You sound like you have learnt a lot in the past 7 weeks and I have too. I feel as well that this internship is a great opportunity to get out into the “real world” and learn and observe things that you can not learn at university.

I am glad you have shared the slideshare.net website with everyone. It is very useful when looking for information etc. I understand your joy when you found out about not having to do academic style reports. I find them very time consuming and difficult.

Also I definitely agree with you when you say that staying on top of your emails is a must. It is a very time consuming activity though one that needs to be constantly completed. Keeping on top of the job is also something I have learnt in my internship.

I look forward to hearing how the end of your internship goes and other experiences you may encounter.

From Joelle

Anonymous said...

Wow Elle, sounds like you were chucked into the deep-end a little with your internship and you are definitely coming out on top!

I also had to work on a marketing proposal. I started out writing in a lot of detail and doing heavy research behind what I had written, until I showed my supervisor and he said "you don't need this, and you don't need that". He explained that the people reading it just want the 'guts' of it to determine if it is worthwhile. I was very happy not to have to reference but felt that the structure we have learnt in class was helpful for me. For example dividing it up into target markets, market strategies, timeline, budget etc.

I think working at the zoo would offer a great experience and I am sure that you are learning a lot there. Doing this unit has by far been the most useful for me in terms of feeling prepared for the 'real world' and its seems it has been for you too!

I am jealous though that you get a special e-mail account, I haven't been so lucky! Looking forward to more updates from you!

Goodluck!

camillec said...

Hi,

It is great to see that I m not the only who has been struggling at some stage...

It sounds like you are enjoying yourself though!

Good luck for everything