Saturday, October 16, 2010

Ben & Jerry's & press advisories

Hello!

I'm back to give an update on what I've been doing at work!

My company partnered with an advertising company, RIOT, to come up with Ben & Jerry's (they are one of my company's clients) media kit. When I found out what the concept was, I thought it really cool and very relevant. They decided to use A PINT TUB the media kit. It was filled to the brim with tiny styrofoam balls to represent snow and inside the tub was a thumb drive. The thumb drive was used to store the press release and the hi-res images in replacement of paper and a CD. The idea was suggested by my colleague who explained that it would be better as we will be saving the environment. How awesome was that!

It was then that I realised the importance of suggesting what you think will be better not only for your company but also for your clients. Of course there will always be the fear of seeming like like you are going against their ideas but as long as the reason is beneficial to the client, why not?

I was also tasked to write press advisories for two of our clients. I wasn't familiar with writing one as we didn't learn it in school. However, my colleague was patient enough to explain that it was similar to a press release just that lesser information was to be put in. I then learnt that I should write it in a way that it would excite the media to come and attend event. It didn't take me too long to write one though as the structure was similar to a press release. Yay to that!

The days are getting busier as it is almost year-end and I find myself coming into work earlier each day. Surprisingly, I don't feel the least bit tired! Maybe because the first thing I do is monitor the media and rush out my morning report but I am truly enjoying this experience a lot. How's the year-end on everyone else's side?

Till the next post!

Alicia Tan
Curtin Singapore

No comments: