Friday, October 1, 2010

Database Expert

Hey Everyone,

I'm just hitting the half way mark in my internship at the PMH Foundation and I can't believe how quickly it is going past. I'm really starting to feel more competent at the work that I am completing and I know that in another four weeks, I will be very sad to leave the PMH Foundation.

This past week has been slightly less eventful then the two previous, but I know that it can't all be fun and games. In the last couple of days, I have mastered the Raiser's Edge database. A healthy chunk of photo/video release forms from the last year had been left neglected, so it was my job this week to input all the information on the release forms into the database for future reference. After the second day, the work did become tedious, but my aim was to have it all completed by the end of the week, and at 4.45pm on Friday I finished. The database contains all sorts of information regarding everything from people that donate to the Foundation, to parents of children who are photographed for PMH publications.

I also undertook a few other smaller jobs during the week to break up the data imputing. My supervisor, who is the Marketing and PR Manager was away this week, so I helped the Graphic Designer with posters and invitations that she was creating with the wording and amount of information to place on the publications, such as The WA Firefighters 2011 Calendar poster, which was a bit of fun to help create. I also produced a calendar to be used to help integrate nationally announced days/ weeks with events or activities at the Foundation. For example, combine Seniors Week with recruiting more Senior volunteers to work at the Foundation.


At the PMH Foundation, the practice of public relations is separated into three different areas within the structure of the company. Corporate and Community relations deal with the clients and donors, the Events department organizes and runs all the fund raising events for the Foundation and Kellie, my supervisor overlooks all of this, being the PR and Marketing Manager, deals with the media, design briefs, new clients and many other things. I think that this structure works well, because each individual section of the company is able to concentrate solely on their area.

Until next week.
I hope everyone is going well with their placements,
Simone

No comments: