Friday, October 1, 2010

Public Relations, Promotion and Playthings!

Hi everyone,

It's technically day 7 of my placement, however I have been onboard the 'Dark House Imagery Studios' team since March this year.

Dark House Imagery Studios is an independent film production company and we are currently focusing all of our energy on the pre-production and promotion of an exciting feature film entitled Playthings. It is due to be filmed in the middle of next year, however we just filmed a short promotional feature in order to attract investors and audiences.

Enough about the non-PR side of things! It has been an incredibly exciting and overwhelming experience so far, as I am the only person in a Public Relations role. I have been given the responsibility of writing press releases, which has caused me to dig up everything I learnt back in PR Techniques and PR Media. I am so thankful to have had those units teach me so much about the art of writing a press release, because at the beginning it is harder than you would think!

I have also been very lucky to have one of my press releases picked up for publication in the Fremantle Gazette. I was so excited when I got the call from the journalist. It is also extremely important to be professional and maintain strong relationships with the media so you can communicate effectively, and therefore mutually benefit from the relationship. I helped set up an interview with the director of Playthings and also a photo shoot. This is how the article turned out...


I will be sure to keep updating you with all of the exciting tasks I have been given and any new developments I experience throughout my placement. I have learnt so much so far and it has been incredibly rewarding to learn more about Public Relations in a 'real world', professional context!
Please also check out the link I posted to the Playthings website! http://www.playthingsmovie.com/
I hope all of your placements are going well and your reports are well on their way to completion,
Sophie

2 comments:

stephanietan said...

Wow you have quite a demanding role in your company but I am sure that your effort and hard work will pay off. I too, encountered some difficulty with my very first press release at my PR agency. But practice makes perfect! I learnt how to write media advisories for the first time at my agency as well, one of the many skills I gained through this internship. I hope you continue to have an amazing experience at your company.

Primrose said...

Congratulations Sophie!
What a fantastic acheivement getting a media release published in the Fremantle Gazette! It is such an exillerating feeling when a journalist (!!! who are such scary creatures!!!) thinks that your work is worthy enough to publish...I completely know this feeling having had one of my media releases published in the post newspaper!
Congratualtions and keep up the great work (i'm sure this article will be the first of many!)
Primrose