Wednesday, October 13, 2010

PR Dress Up's

Hey Everyone,

I'm just coming into the three quarters mark with my placement, and the time feels like it is flying past. This past week has been very busy here at the PMH Foundation, for we had the Grand Opening of the merchandise outlet on Tuesday. The merchandise outlet is located on the ground floor of the PMH Foundation's premises on Hay Street.

The lead up to the Grand Opening comprised of press releases and media alerts being distributed, which I helped to edit, the organisation of media and guests who were coming and a few other jobs. And of course, a PMH Foundation event would not be complete without a guest appearance from Stitches, the PMH Foundation bear, and being someone who has not yet had the 'pleasure' of being in the Stitches costume, I nominated myself to be Stitches on the day.


The Stitches costume turned out to be extremely hot, hard to walk in and hard to hear in, but overall, I had a lot of fun posing for photographs with all the guests, who included the Lord Mayor Lisa Scaffidi and several firemen who star in the 2011 FESAQ Firefighters calendar, so I wasn't complaining. I even got to sit in the firetruck! I've included some photos of the day, and of me dressed up as Stitches the Bear.
The opening went very smoothly overall and the merchandise outlet is now official open for business.

Also, on Friday last week I was extremely lucky enough to meet Jesinta Campbell, this years Miss Australia. The Miss Australia competitors work alongside Toybox International, who are an organisation who raise funds for sick children as well and are affiliates of the PMH Foundation. Jesinta and Toybox organised to visit the 7 Teen ward at PMH, so that Jesinta could meet and talk to some of the children who spend a lot of their time there. We had to escort her over to the hospital, and I had to wait for the news cameraman and the West Australia photographer and reporter in the lobby of the hospital and take them up to the ward. We also had to make sure any children that were photographed or filmed had release forms signed by their parents, so that we are able to use their image in PMH Foundation publications.

It was really great to see the children get excited when they were talking to Jesinta, and to see the article and one of the photographs in the Saturday West Australian. Being able to see first hand the happiness that you helped to achieve makes you feel that much more accomplished.


In the last couple of days, I've also been busy with the lead up to the John Hughes Big Walk on October 31st. I have been contacting a few participants from different suburbs of Perth and asking them if they would be interested in having their photograph taken for their local news paper, in order to gain some more media coverage for the event. So far it has been going well, I've only gotten one apologetic no from one person.
I am really enjoying my internship here, and I'm very sad that I've only got two an d a half weeks left.
Until next week,
Simone

2 comments:

Karys said...

Simone,

It sounds like the PMH foundation is a great place to do your work experience. They are a great organisation that do a lot of good for the community.

Dressing up in a bear costume must have been uncomfortable, but I could imagine the smiles on the kids faces when they saw Stitches. It's great to see that an organisation likes to get in there and have a lot of fun with the community and put a smile on many kids faces. How did the day turn out? Did you have a lot of people that came to the opening of the store?

Wow it would of been a great opportunity to meet the Mayor and Miss Universe contendant. Working at Devahasdin Communications, I know how exciting and nerve racking it can be meeting prominent people. How did you feel?

Hope your last few days of work experience are great!

Karys

SimoneM said...

Hi Karys,

Yeah, the bear costume did get pretty uncomfortable. I had little breaks where I went into another room and got to take the head off and get some air on my face. But the whole day was still alot of fun.
The day went fairly well, we were meant to get covered by Channel 7/9, but there was other news that was more important on that day. But we still got in the West and the Western Suburbs Weekly which is good. There were a few patients and general public at the opening. There is a cafe right next door, so that attract some traffic through the store which was good.

It is quite nerve racking when you meet important people, but sometimes I think they are prettu nervous as well, like with Miss Universe, I know she was because she told me.

Thank you :)
Simone