Sunday, October 31, 2010

Reflecting back my time spent in HCWA







Hi all,

My internship in Heritage Council of Western Australia has come to an end. Looking back at my time spent in HCWA, it was definitely a challenging yet fruitful journey. I am truly grateful for the opportunity of commencing my internship with HCWA and came to learn many valuable lessons and priceless experience which has equipped me for my next career.

I had a great supervisor and a colleague whom are more than willing to share their experiences being in this industry for many years. They always gave me room to come up with my own ideas and helped me in expressing my opinions confidently. I felt as if I am part of the team and have been making contribution along with the team.

I was assigned with two projects which is developing webpage with re-badged brochures and photo slides for 6PR interview. Both of my projects turned out to be a success which I am delightful and proud of. It was not an easy task but having the desire to great achievement I managed to overcome all the difficulties.

A lot of theory that I have learnt throughout the PR units undertaken in university was applied into the practical during my internship. Time management, internal communication, different style of writing, copyright and acknowledgement, as well as engagement with stakeholders are all that I came across in this 20days.

On the very last day of my internship, my manager has taught me one important theory which determine the her success and achievement. To her opinion, it is critical to treat everyone as your clients and learn to serve them. Even though the everyone that she refers to is the management level above her, other departments' manager, or Heritage Council of other states. By having this mindset, it changes your perceptions, strategies, goals and mould your way of working. I find this as a great example of successful working attitude looking at the relationships that she has developed. I will bear this in mind and bring forth to my future career.

Again I am so grateful to commence my internship in HCWA. I am also thankful for this unit where I get to stepped out of my comfort zone and gained valuable experience of the real PR industry. This has been the greatest highlight of my student life.

I wish you all the very best with your placement, uni and future undertakings! Good luck!


Cheers,
Janica




1 comment:

vamoskikiyan said...

Hi Janica,

It seems that you had a great time during the internship, Congratulations!

I actually visited the website of Heritage Council of WA to look for some information about Heritage tourism couple of days ago. I've just realised that it is designed by you, good job!

The website design is simple and structured, it is reallly easy for viewers to find the information they want.

By the way, I also noticed that there are a vision statement and a mission statemen (or purpose? I don't quite remember it...) posted on the homepage. It is really good because people who don't really know the organisation (like me) can understand more about what is it doing easily.

Well done and good luck for your semester!