Wednesday, November 3, 2010

FINAL POST FROM AUJS

So the final week was very interesting, it's all coming to an end very slowly! but i've thoroughly enjoyed working for AUJS the past 15 days or so..I feel like I have learnt so many new things and its exemplified all the theory I have learnt at Uni over the past 3 years..

I really think this unit is great in actually providing us real life experience in the industry and i think that it has really swayed me to turn back to PR, despite wanting to move on to other things!

The biggest achievment in the last few days of AUJS was re-designing and re-doing their entire membership application forms. Basically the previous form only had one option, 'send emails or do not send emails' (most of the students did click send emails but later replied saying "we dont want to receive any more emails, there too many of things we dont want"

So basically, I liased with the web developer and we discussed how to achieve this through the online application form. With the approval of the ED we made the form as such:


MEMBERSHIP FORM

Family/Surname: ________________________________

First Name: ___________________________________

Date of Birth: ____/________/______ Gender: M F

Email___________________________________________________

Mobile: ____________________________________

Street Address _________________________________________________

Suburb/City: __________________ Post Code: ________ State: __________

University/College/Tafe: _________________ Campus: _________________

Guild Member Y/N Guild Number: ___________________

What year of study are you in? Are you an International Student Y/N

Did you attend a Jewish day school? Y/N Do you have regular Shabbat dinners? Y/N

Do you have meals for major Jewish festivals? (E.g. Pesach, Rosh Hashanah) Y/N

Would you host someone for either of the above? Y/N

Have you been to Israel? (Please Circle) Long term/Short term/AUJS Program/Never




YOUR INTERESTS (Please circle)

Charity/Tikkun Olam Sport/Recreation Networking/Job Opportunities

Interfaith/Social Justice Educational Internships/Study Abroad

Political/Israel Advocacy Holocaust studies Drama/Performing Arts/Music

Religious Israel Programs Leadership Development

Social Events Retreats Social Networking

Other (Please specify) ______________________________________________________________________________

This new form allowed the students to circle their interests and when the memberships were being uploaded online, they would only be put in the relevant interest categories, therefore eliminating their previous problems of receiving emails they wernt interested in.

Of course, the outcome is unknown because this is so recent - however no students to date have emailed back to take their name off the list - so i will consider this a conditional victory!

I was also involved with really getting AUJS to utilise social media EFFECTIVELY! What I mean is that - they relied on social media, especially twitter and facebook WAY TO HEAVILY

I am a firm believer that if you do not have a personable, one on one, face to face, direct relationship - the relationship is doomed to fail. The reliance on social media is basically making phone calls and one on one meetings obsolete and i think this is going to be to the detriment of the organisation and ALL THE ORGANISATIONS THAT DO THE SAME THING!

I'm pretty sure they valued my opinion on this because after all, I am still at UNI and its been a while since they had been at uni.

To end off my time there - i developed a who is AUJS poster to put in their offices, to send to their target markets and just to promote generally to the public when needed, seen below:



THANKS FOR READING (HOPEFULLY)

It has been a pleasure being apart of this wonderful experience with you all!

Hope to see you in the 'real world' :)

1 comment:

Liam said...

DK, it is really ironic that you feel that AUJS uses social networks too much. After reading your blog, joining AUJS on Facebook was the first thing I did. So your blog raised awareness, and my membership on Facebook allowed me to keep up to date with AUJS news and events.

Without these two social media tools, I may have never heard of AUJS. Perhaps there is some use in social media.

And just for your reading pleasure, I have not been on Facebook for THREE WEEKS! Yes, you may be amazed. I have set myself a personal challenge to go without Facebook for a whole month. I guess it’s like when people give up chocolate for Easter. But alas, I have been using Twitter a bit more often – perhaps I merely swapped one social network for another.

Liam.