Wednesday, November 3, 2010

New experience

Since the end of school, I have always been apart of the Jewish student organisation called AUJS. The Australasian Union of Jewish Students was always the go to place for volunteering, whether it be hosting events, helping out on campus or just being a general help around the office.

I decided to go to AUJS for my placement considering that the national organisation has a PR department, but the WA branch only has one person working on all areas, including PR. I was accepted to come on board for the 20 days and was considered a staff member and got nice lunches paid for which made me feel like a professional!

It was a real big change to the student volunteering life, the money was the same :) but the experience was completely different.

The first week, I was involved with organising their annual AGM and cocktail evening. Simply, I was the event organiser and I couldnt have been happier.

I was involved with getting quotes for the hall, food, music, photographer, printing - you name it! I made up the invitations and thank you cards - I have attached the image: (i hope this works)


Even though the event started after I had finished my prac, i was still there to see it through. For me this was a prac and an amazing opportunity to see it from a professional angle, but also something I am very passionate about and as a consequence believe I am really motivated and quite good at it!

Of course a few things went wrong. The caterer decided to rock up late and I had to stall everyone there. The microphone speaker blew....EVENTS HAS TO BE THE MOST STRESSFUL THING EVER! Because there was a relatively small amount of people, this was manageable, but i really dont know what i would've done if this was at a huge function!!

It was a great first week.. I slowly became part of the staff and saw the organisation from a completely different perspective! In terms of event management, social media and creativity - it tested all of that!

One last pic - this was one from one of the sessions titled: AUJS into the future



SUCH A GOOD WEEK!

No comments: