Last blog! 2nd last day at Central! Wow, It's been an intense semester juggling my internship with work, Uni and life in general. Overall I think I've come out better from it, especially with time management skills which I have always lacked. Before I get on with what I learnt (or didn't), I want to tell you that I've actually gained employment through this internship-a casual contract throughout the holidays dealing with web content which I'm stoked about! The people here are great to work for and it's a nice environment to work in.
First off, my writing has improved a lot. Especially in the sense of being able to tailor it to fit corporate branding styles of Central. I'm also a lot more competent and confident when it comes to media releases and media liaison. I'm a lot more aware of the function and processes of looking after internal stakeholders and just in general being in an office has taken away the nerves I once had about this style of work (mostly because I have only been employed in labour intensive jobs).
Things I wish I could've learnt/improved on are my public speaking skills and liaising with the executive members of the college, but these opportunities just didn't arise therefore I'll just have to wait till a later date.
One other little quiff I have is with the premier. Mr Barnett was meant to come to the college today to view a unique mining and resources training facility (a mock underground mine in a service tunnel underneath Central's Northbridge campus). Unfortunately he cancelled which was a bit upsetting. I've gotten to do a lot of cool and eye-opening tasks during my time here but meeting the premier would've topped the list. I suppose he is a busy man but let it be known that he has lost himself a possible (maybe could have, was thinking about it, if he changed a few policies around, isn't he a type of tree?) voter.
I've thoroughly enjoyed my time here and am thankful they saw something in me and asked me to stay a bit longer. So for now, my internship chapter closes but a new, more exciting fiscally motivated Central chapter opens.
I hope your placements were as fulfilling as mine and good luck with your reports. Good luck also to the next lot of students embarking on their placements!
Hamish.
1 comment:
Hey Hamish!
It sounds like you had a great experience doing your work placement!
I can definitely relate to your comments sbout have developed more confidence in writing media releases and other documents! The feedback I received during my placement was so beneficial.
Good luck with the rest of your assessments and for life after uni! :D
- Sam
Post a Comment