Change in individual tasks
Greetings again to PR 393 Reflective Blog2 followers.
Today is the first day of my fifth week on my placement. As a vigilant person I have noticed some kind of change on my tasks every time and then. As I mentioned in the first post, I was first assigned as a communication watchdog with a purpose to read incoming emails and forward them to the concerned staff to respond.
As time goes on my tasks changed to a more responsible series of activities. The first test of change came as a task to send emails on behalf of the Chief Operating Officer inviting the organization's publics to a seminar. This task lead to another task that involved updating the organization's blog and Facebook with ongoing activities. Then I had to read incoming emails and observe email replies and also respond to blog comments and Facebook posts. I became a media monitor.
Since I noticed the change on my working environment I thought about the root or cause or main reason of this change. In my mind there was various dubious reasons. The first one was trust, was it because of trust and individual confidence on coursework or was it stages planned to be part of the placement?
Now I want to know if any of you out there have witnessed the change on tasks in your working environment, if so what is the main reason behind such a change?
Besides, my placement is fantastic. I am becoming used to the staff and as to media monitoring, it is the best task so far because I get to know the organization better through the information given by the publics and I stand a better chance to advice and make suggestions on required developments and improvements based on the information from the publics.
Thank you for reading.
3 comments:
Hi Jabulani,
Its great to hear that you are getting more tasks and responsibilities, and I agree with you that it's a result of trust. through performance and effort, you build on the relationship and the trust with your superiors, it only seems natural that you get rewarded with more responsibilities. However, I find that this really does differ amongst the different types of PR organizations out there. with my placement, i found that they included me in a whole range of tasks from the get-go. I suppose from there we can find out my strengths and weaknesses to work with me towards nurturing the strengths and eliminating the weaknesses. Keep up good performance, and show your effort and you may receive a new lot of responsibilities :)
Best Regards
Inessa Fouquet
@ Inessa
Thanks
It is very true, good performance is always rewarded with a series of responsibilities. The better the performance the more responsibilities you get.
Hello Jabulani
Its good news to hear that your work task moved to a higher level, each day, you know this is because of TRUST, they trusted you to perform any particular tasks, and it shows that you really performed pr theories professionally, according to their liking.
The same happened to me, the first week, i was doing a media monitoring, distributing posters, diaries, e-newsletters, feature articles. As time goes, i was allowed to take a whole week trip to a Northern part of Botswana, together with my work colleague to operate there, coming up with ideas of posters, and attending two media conferences and other conferences held. And i assure that we manage to move from one/easier task to a higher task because we gain trust from them. I totally agree with you that trust is a significant elements in a public relations working environment.
Post a Comment