Saturday, January 15, 2011

Empathy? What's that?

Hi all, it's that time of the week to enter yet another blog entry. This week the topic will be on empathy. One of our four core values in the company includes empathy. You know I think people tend to use the word loosely. www.dictionary.com defines the word empathy as "the power of understanding and imaginatively entering into another person's feelings". After a minor blunder at work, my boss sat me down to talk about empathy. His definition of empathy was to think for the client. I personally feel that it is easier said that done. Thinking and preparing ahead for the client is vital. I have come to realise that I am very task oriented. I focus on wanting to get things done (since we all have tight deadlines) and in the midst of that all, forget about the human touch that is so vital.
I think that the understanding of other people's feelings, needs and wants looked at broadly applies across the different publics that we come into contact with. It can be quite tiring but once mastered, we'll all be pros at it!

Pamela Philip
14243776
Curtin Singapore

1 comment:

G.Reid said...

Hi Pamela, I think that this blog post shows great insight into what we should all expect to come up against when we enter the 'real world' so to speak. This sort of thing (empathy) is one of those essential tools that we need to have but can only really learn to channel once we are in he workplace, or similar situation where it is necessay.