Monday, January 10, 2011

Hi everyone,

For my second blogpost I wanted to share an interesting experience I went through today, attending a real pitch! Well the day started off rather quickly as I was asked to do the weekly internal WIP (Work-In-Progress) meeting minutes for the first time. My colleague then whisked me over to the meeting room to discuss and brainstorm two new accounts the agency had just undertaken. It was during the brainstorming session that I was reminded of how quickly you can churn out a PR plan and publicity plan when the clock's ticking. Keep it relevant, short, simple and realistic. All throughout uni, we have so much time to think and put effort into flashy, publicity stunt-like events and strategies that we often forget to reflect on the message we are trying to convey (Even though this is PR planning 101). So what if your event attracts hundreds of people, do they know what they're there for? Or are they just there for the pony show? Not only does keeping close to your message and objectives help keep your strategy relevant and realistic, It will also probably save you 30% of your time in the planning stage.

Back to the 'interesting experience', today I was able to attend a client pitch along with my director and senior associate. I was especially excited to attend the pitch with them as I had been working alongside the senior associate for some time putting together the PR strategy, which actually ended up using some of my ideas! The pitching experience was somewhat similar to what I experienced last semester pitching to Diabetes WA with my group members, we had been selected as finalists and on the day of the pitch we were also nervously waiting outside the meeting room, conducting numerous dress rehearsals, tech runs, speech runs, you name it. We must have practiced at least 50 times! All in all, the pitch went superb and I left feeling great. In the end I really understood how a strategy that keeps relevant, short, simple and realistic makes for easy planning and execution (and pitching) ;)

Thanks for reading
Best Regards
Ness Fouquet
13955795

No comments: