Friday, January 7, 2011

PR isn’t about spinning, fluffing or bluffing!

Hello Everyone!

I am Jessie Chee from Curtin Singapore, currently having my internship at GolinHarris.

The first day of internship was surprisingly busy! I stayed till about 7 in the office trying to finish up my work. Personally, I felt that this would be rather scary for someone who is new to the working society. Thank god for past experience, I was trained to go through what I was doing!

The agency is not segmented into different departments as we are not that big (17 people), so using “The Best Team” approach is beneficial for us. This is placing the best expertise together to create the best outcome.

With “The Best Team” approach, this means that during my internship I will be working with different colleague at the same time. This also means they will each pour me with to-do items, not knowing what my other responsibilities for the other accounts are.

Currently I am working on 3 accounts and a new business proposal. I had learn to do media monitoring, calculating PR values, PR research, how to do a business pitch, brain storming for BIG IDEAS...and the workload keeps pouring in which also means, more learning and growing opportunity! A lot of times, I find myself doing things I hear from our other PR modules. And all these workload will eventually will increase the credibility of an agency.

In GH, I have learnt to be organized, know what I need to do and how long I take to finish. Another important lesson is “The Art of Saying NO!” in a nice way of course. I have been facing difficulties saying no to my colleagues however, It is OKAY to say NO! This is just merely spreading the workload between the team.

Before I end, I would like to share some quotes from my directors,

“In PR, we should always write in SIMPLE words, easy to understand and direct to the point. PR isn’t about spinning, fluffing or bluffing!”

“You should always give yourself and the company at least 18 months to understand and experience the whole work practice before deciding if you are going to stay or not, even if things don’t seem very smooth in start.”

ENJOY YOUR INTERNSHIP!

Jessie Chee
14525157
Curtin Singapore

No comments: