Monday, January 24, 2011

Responsibilities!

Hi everyone, I would just like to post a short entry about responsibility.

Recently, the Australian Open (tennis tournament) has been on, meaning that the majority of the office went to Melbourne, including my supervisor. However, the nature of the organisation I am doing my placement for still has many other events going on, a major one being the CBH Country Tennis Carnival.

As such, it was asked of me to attend the carnival during the days that my supervisor was away in order to represent the organisation and to write media releases and stories for the newsletter as well as to take photo's of all the winners. It was also my job to talk to the event manager and sponsor to get quotes and find out all about how the tournament was run each year.

It was a really great experience and it was a thrill to be trusted enough to carry out this job. It also opened my eyes to the amount of responsibilities that go with the job of PR practitioner within an organisation, such as deadlines, managing stakeholders and managing the myriad of different events that one may need to sponsor, attend or have knowledge about.

I have also found a website with some tips and tricks of the trade when it comes to writing in PR that I would like to share with you, (it also backs up most of what we have been taught throughout our degrees).
Tips and Tricks
And also some common mistakes.
Common Mistakes

I hope everyone is enjoying their placements so far, from what I have been reading it looks like everyone is getting some great experience!

No comments: