Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Technical Start in PR

Hi Everyone

I’m Kwa Qian Hui from Curtin Singapore. I am currently carrying out my internship at Rice Communications. Rice is considered a small and new agency, having just turned two years old, and an employment of seventeen people, including other interns.

This first week at Rice was filled with the more technical aspects of Public Relations, perhaps due to it being the beginning of the year – people clearing their annual leave and all. My colleague were preparing for the 2011 work year, renewing accounts and planning for pitches to potential clients.

I will be attached to a mentor, a full-time staff, during my internship period. Each staff was in-charge of roughly three to four client accounts. I was tasked to do research on the background and industries of the clients to attain a better understanding of their business and what they require.

There were articles to be written on behalf of the clients, making follow-up calls to journalist after sending out media releases, editing media lists, and sourcing for industry and media events which clients can attend, sponsor or speak at. A large percentage of my first week’s work was centred on research.

I have not attended any client meetings so far, perhaps because this was just my first week? I anticipate accompanying my mentor to her meetings in future, to observe at the very least, and contribute input to the discussion if possible. It would be great to get more involved in the strategic aspect of PR. I’ll continue learning all I can while contributing to Rice.

Kwa Qian Hui

2 comments:

Winisha said...

heyy , good to read about your post ! i went through almost the same thing in Weber Shandwick Jakarta , while i am interning and i thought that it was only me that was not being exposed as much !

how are you enjoying your internship ? have u met any of your clients personally ??

regards
Winisha

Just D'closet said...

Hi Qian Hui,

I am carrying out my internship on a part time basis but my consultant was kind enough to let me do both the technical and strategic aspect of PR for his client.

I was also given a chance to attend client brief last week but i missed it due to some urgent work matters which required my attention.

Hopefully, I will be able to attend the next meeting that comes along.

How about you? Any chance yet? :)

Cheers!
Doreen Eng Li Hoe
13304986
Curtin Singapore