Friday, February 11, 2011

First Week at SUPP

Hi everyone.

This is my first post here hence here is my introduction about myself. My name is Law Siaw Wen, Joanne. I am from Curtin Sarawak Miri campus. I have officially started my internship programme since this Monday. I am currently doing my internship in a politcal party named Sarawak United Peoples' Party (SUPP). SUPP is a pro-government party. My supervisor, Mr Kok, has placed me under the Publicity & Information Department. I was brief about my job scope on the first day of work. My job scope includes dealing with the internal and external communication in the party. Internal communications would include communicating message within the party to the members. Whilst external communications stakeholders would range from non-government organizations, government personnel, school and others. My job scope also includes planning for plan of actions, monitoring, review and report.

The first week of work has been very interesting. One most important thing that I was told by my supervisor to do was to study the organization and its structure. I was handed a little yellow booklet which consist of the organization's information, objectives, vision and more of other information. Having no prior understanding of this political party, I learn a lot by studying the organization structure and get to know how things work. SUPP Miri was established on the 9th October 1960. To date, the party has been around for 51 years. The party was once made up of 7 branches. However, due to the growth of population and voters SUPP Miri branch has then made adjustments to the structure. In the year 2008, 'SUPP Miri Branch' was named 'SUPP Miri-Sibuti Parliamentary Liaison Committee'. The committee is head by chairman YB Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Dr. George Chan Hong Nam and vice chairman YB Dato' Sri Peter Chin Fah Kui. Underneath this committee is made up of five branches which are: Bekenu, Lambir, Miri (Piasau), Pujut and Senadin. Each branch is then head by their respective chairman as shown below:
(a) Bekenu - YB Dato' Sri Chin Fah Kui
(b) Lambir - Dato Sebastian Ting Chiew Yew
(c) Miri (Piasau) - YB Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Dr. George Chan Hong Nam
(d) Pujut - YB Andy Chia Chu Fatt
(e) Senadin - YB Datuk Lee Kim Shin


By getting to know the organization, it helps me to see and understand the organization bit by bit. That's all for now. Looking forward to learn more and hopefully get the chande to put in practice the PR theories that i've learn into real life situation for the coming days.


Regards,
Law Siaw Wen
Sarawak Campus 
Intern at Sarawak United Peoples' Party (SUPP)    

No comments: