Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A first glimpse


A first glimpse of real-world PR is what I expected prior to commencing this unit... and that is exactly what I am getting!

A little introduction first; My name is Marija Gorgievska (Maria), and semester one of 2011 will be my final semester studying a Bachelor of Commerce ma
joring in Public Relations and Marketing. I chose to start my placement during the summer break as I thought I needed the extra time to focus solely on this unit which I believe is one of, if not the most important units in my schedule.

So to begin, I have found a placement at St John of God Hospital Subiaco, which for those of you who do not know is Perth's largest private hospital/health care provider. It is also part of a larger St John of God Health Care Group - which also has a Murdoch division in the Perth Metropolitan area. I will not really explain much about the Hospital structure, but rather how things work and how I am getting involved in it all.



I began my placement in the Marketing/PR Department on the 18th of January, and am currently there for two full days a week due to other work and study commitments (silly me decided it would be fun to do Business Capstone in summer school...), however hope to arrange for other days when time allows. I am writing my first post after my seventh day there, hoping to have gathered a few interesting things to share.

My first few days involved some tasks that are worth mentioning but not discussing in detail that include:
  • Database refreshing and updating
  • Reviewing "Style Guidelines"
  • Updating meeting agenda templates
  • Devised a "2011 Health Promotions Calendar"
  • Devised a "2011 Marketing Department Reference Guide" document
In the last four days I have been working (two weeks), it has gotten very busy and things keep popping up everywhere which I am loving. I have written two media releases, one of which has already been sent out to the Sunday Times, and another that is awaiting approval. I should note that due to the nature of the Hospital, anything media related must go through at least two stages of approval - one from my boss (the Marketing and PR Manager) and one from the Hospital CEO - and therefore some changes are usually made. I am still very excited to see if anything comes out of them!

As a Hospital, a lot of our focus goes towards health awareness, which brings me along to another task I am in the process of completing. I am almost solely in charge of a fundraising event for Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month (February). It's the first time I have done anything events planning related and am a little nervous but excited for the most part. Look out for photos in later posts!

As this blog is getting a little long, I will briefly introduce a few other things we currently have on the agenda at the Hospital - and will talk about them in later posts.
  • Hospital wide re-branding launch (very big but exciting task)
  • Social media launch (as the youngest in the department, they are finding me very useful in helping with this area)
  • Organising the mid-year Annual Ball
  • and other general health awareness events (red nose day, coeliac awareness week, Australia's biggest morning tea etc.)
As a first glimpse, I am happy to discover that the real-world of PR is as good as I had imagined - and I am definitely loving the very hectic but rewarding 9-5 world!


No comments: