Thursday, February 3, 2011

The End of a Great Experience

This week was my last at my work placement, and rather than be happy to have gotten the 20 days finished, I am sad to leave. This work placement completely exceeded my expectations and by the end I felt like one of the team and not just the work experience girl.

I would like to use this post to reflect on some of my favourite parts during my time at Tennis West, as well as share some things that I have learnt along the way.

My Favourite Things:

  • The people that I got to work with were amazing. Everyone was so friendly and always willing to help me and teach me new things.

  • Experiencing and being involved with a major event like the Hopman Cup.

  • Organising and running a major fundraising breakfast.

  • Writing feature stories and media releases.

  • Meeting so many different people.
Things to Share:

  • Always ask questions if you are in doubt (your employer would prefer you to ask questions rather than continue to make mistakes!).

  • Don't be afraid to put forward your own ideas and be creative.

  • Networking is one of the most important things in PR (how will you get anything done if you don't know anyone or have bad relationships with them???).

  • Be accountable (if you have made a mistake, own up to it and lean from that mistake for the future).

  • Be trustworthy (prove that you can be trusted and you will be given more responsibilities)

  • HAVE FUN!!!! (enjoy what you are doing, otherwise why are you doing it?)

Overall this placement unit has been a really eye opening experience, and from completing mine where I did, I have discovered how much I love in-house PR, where you are the company and not just working from an outside perspective.

During my time I have also found a new passion for sports (tennis in particular) and now know that I would love to work in the sports or entertainment industry at some stage in my career.

Throughout my placement period, I never got to witness a 'crisis' situation, however I got a front row seat during my final days. In WA there was a cyclone warning and although it never actually hit Perth, there was quite an astonishing amount of heat, followed by an intense downpour of rain. On this day, we were holding a large tournament that had taken weeks of planning but due to the weather it had to be cancelled 15 minutes into play. This was a huge blow for the State Tennis Centre, having planned and catered for a certain amount of people, only to have to cancel the event. Unlike so many events we have learnt about, because of sporting rules this tournament couldn't be rescheduled or change its venue but it did teach me how you can never be fully prepared for everything.

As a parting note here are some of the biggest PR disasters I have found in the web...

PR Disasters

Good luck to all of you still to complete your placement and I hope you are enjoying every minute of it!

2 comments:

joyce said...

Hi there,

Sounds like you enjoyed your internship a lot! Good to hear from another perspective, working in-house!

Anyway, I do agree with you that it is important to ask questions when it doubt, not only will you be able to clarify the matter and not make the mistake, I do believe that sometimes, you learn more than what you expect if you ask questions! Yes!! All employers or even colleagues want responsible employees or co-worker, no one wants someone who gives a heck-care attitude, producing slip-short work, not only does it reflect badly on the person but also on the company!

Can you imagine if that horrible work was given to the the media or someone of utmost importance in the company?

Take care! (:

Vincent Chai said...

Hi there,

It is great to hear that you enjoy your internship =)

thanks for your sharing. It helps me to refresh my memory as well. The internship in Hilton really let me gain a lot experience, especially the attitude you should hold.