I hope everybody enjoyed their Chinese new year, , anyway getting back to the internship ,after the holidays things were taking a turn, i was running around like a chicken without a head, with only a few weeks left for the major event.Things have to be in place but the most vital thing about an event is that, it needs to be publicized to attract the right audience. I never knew that getting an event's information to be disseminated to the media was this hard and exhausting.
I know i have been taught at school on media relations, but it is so stressful getting contacts of media people and finding the space for the advert,because eventually price does matter when it comes to advertising.Not only were my hands loaded with work i had to figure other ways of attracting the perfect or audiences that could relate to , especially universities and the students because with the event we are doing university students can benefit a great deal from that ,especially lessons and teachings on what goes in the real world and get a chance to network with prominent people.
I m trying my best to please my boss and to prove to my self that i can get this done, so all this is still in progress.I m crossing my fingers things go as planned.My boss finally told me that working hard wont kill you but makes you a successful person.Its all worth it at the end of the day .Keep strong people.
3 comments:
I agree, finding contacts for media personel can be very difficult, especially knowing if they're relevent or not! I like to keep an excel spreadsheet with all their info on it, and keep updating with new contacts and extra information.
Also, hard work can kill you, in a manner of speaking. Stress is mean, so remember to take some time out each day to have a breather!
I also agree that finding contact for media is difficult task.
Therefore, it is important for PR person to keep all the contact and build the database instantly after getting any name cards from media person.
It is effective way to help u contact them next time.
As my experience for working at Hilton Kuching, they have built a fantastic database for not only Media person, as well as all the customer who willing to get updated from Hilton.
As a result, it save a lot of time for me to send out the update information. =)
hey Olerato I also tend to agree with you. Media relations sounds good and easy as theory taught in class but come the time for practice it will give you a headache. I was also happy when one morning my supervisor told me that I would be working at BPC (Botswana Power Corporation) Marketing and Communication Department to do media relations. There was an electricity cut (outage) at Charles Hill. I had to look for media contacts to book a space for the outage to be announced. It was not easy at all, at first I thought I will spend an hour doing that as I was dealing with newspapers and it is suppose to be short and simple (The Voice, The Gazette and Mmegi). I took the whole day doing these, to contact media is not easy, they will start hitting you with questions, you will spend most of your time trying to tell them, after faxing you contact them to check if they received the article, after some minutes you confirm whether they have managed to include the article in their newspaper. these rapid updates and confirmation about every little thing or issue left me dead. But it was indeed a good experience from media relations theory to practice. do your best and show your boss that you can take theory to practice. All the best.
Post a Comment