Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Claiming a little spot light.

Three more days in counting to the polling day of the elections. Yesterday, the youth of SUPP held an event where they wanted the running candidates of the party to socialize with the youth of Miri, the working adults youth of Miri to be exact. It was a very interesting event as it was held at one of the local bistros here in Miri called Al Fresco. The youth of the party collected funds from their own pockets and held a happy hour free flow beers from 5pm onwards and invited everyone but mostly targeted towards the working youth of Miri.

During the event, the running candidates which were Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Dr. George Chan, Datuk Lee Kim Shin and Andy Chia went around to speak with the different groups of working adults there. Many questions that these working adults have been waiting to ask their leaders were able to be voiced out yesterday evening as questions such as the job availabilities in Sarawak and where the development of Miri was going towards.  One of the attendees told me that he was happy that he finally got the chance to meet close up with the ministers and on a laid back environment as he always saw them from a distance and never close up.

Also present at the event were many reporters. Some even flew in from West Malaysia to report the current atmosphere and climate of the political scene in Miri. A lady from Bernama approached me to ask me questions and how I was involved in the political scene and how I found it. At first I was caught by surprise because I was not entirely ready to answer her questions however I explained to her that this was my first time taking part in a political campaign and told her the truth about how interesting it all was to me. Learning about politics and how it has so much to do with communication and how to reflect it towards the community in a non-threatening way.

By 7.3pm, the free flow drinks had finished and running candidates each said a farewell speech. There was much noise from the crowds and even foreigners were there and made it a point to say that Miri is one of the best places they have lived because it is safe and welcoming. This brought much cheer to the crowd, and the candidates left the youth to their fun.

Yesterday I was put on the spot to answer questions from the media. A place where I usually put others into as I have coordinated the media to attend many of the events. This time, I learnt to communicate my point in a non threatening way towards the opposition as I know that my story would be published out for the public to view. I realized that as a PR practitioner, we must always be ready for the media to question us, thus we need to always practice our speaking skills and be able to communicate the point out effectively without being bias about it. 

No comments: