Tuesday, April 12, 2011

It’s the little things that counts


During my working experience with DBS(department of broadcasting and services ) I got to realise that the staff members always had small internal celebrations and gatherings .but in the back of my mind I always thought that they are just been idle in the work place instead of been productive. And this thought was also trigged by the mentality most people have about Botswana government workers, that most of the government workers are always idle in the work place because of low salaries payments .

I came to the department around the festive season (this is the nation’s most favourite season) so there were a lot of internal events and gathering going on. Then I got to be invited to a Christmas party. At that time I was still new and not yet used to everyone. The activities they did made me feel like I am in college again with friends. They loosened up my intense adjacent as even my supervisor was so much at ease. Then I got to realise that these event are not as ineffective as they seem they build relations between staff members making teamwork to be easy. Which is one of the number one PR principles; internal relations.

Living proof such gestures work because it is hard for people to work in an intense environment. Such events also bring personal closure because they affect worker’s cultural principles as we as religious ones making it a more conducive place to work in.

“DBS is my second home” by Thuso kebang.......from the marketing department.

2 comments:

Peter Devlin said...

Yes, I agree. Work functions, gatherings, drinks, etc help to build and strengthen a working team as it gives them a chance to converse about things other than work. It helps to bring out personality.

I am currently at Clarity Communications and the same applies here. There are various internal gatherings such as Friday drinks.

Kefeletswe Florence (LUCT) said...

Hi! teekay i agree with what you are saying, and below is my experience on how celebrations and gatherings helped streghthen relationships where i did my internship.

some people do not realise the importance of easing things in the office. I had that experience during internship. There were two bosses in the office, the event chairman and the legal advisor. Between the two the chairman eased up easily but the legal advisor on the other hand was too tense. To him chatting, going together for lunch, picnics were just a waste of time, he preffered that instead of going out on a weekend for a picnic we should come to the office. As a result the staff ended up being free to talk and give suggestions to the chairman compared to him. It was more like he did not exist since the staff was not at ease with him. On the other hand the chairman managed to maintain good employee relations and get that trust. Furthermore she called for a meeting and avised the Legal advisor to ease up and become a part of the family of Jo'ish concepts.