Sadly, today was my last day working at the wonderful His Majesty’s Theatre Foundation in Perth city…
Just as I am writing to explain why I would not get a farewell today, my beautiful team have presented me with a luscious chocolate tart, a bottle of vino and a card full of kind words encouraging me to follow my dreams and continue pursuing my career (this has made me a little teary!). The reason I did not expect to get a farewell is because I have already had one! I begun doing work experience at the Foundation in late January and had planned to leave and complete my internship elsewhere. But after a meeting with my unit coordinator, I decided to come back and complete it here.
This morning I assisted a group of school children that had won a tour of His Majesty’s Theatre. The tour was provided through one of our major partners; The Hawaiian Property Group and their Hawaiian Alive program. It was rewarding standing amongst 30 excited children who were bursting with questions about drama and theatre. We showed them around the building, including on stage, back stage and down in the orchestra pit. Today was particularly exciting for them because they were able to see and stand in the TOSCA set, which is the Opera performance showing at the moment. We also did exercises throughout the tour and completed a short quiz at the end while they were enjoying some little cakes and juice. The morning was a buzz, and reminded me how much I love interacting with all types of people.
I have not been given any other tasks today because I would be unable to finish them before I left, however it has given me the opportunity to reflect on my time here and start thinking about my final report.
One of the most obvious things about working with the Foundation is that although it is not an agency dedicated to PR, a lot of its activities are PR based. I found this useful when I was thinking about where to go next, and it opened my mind to other work possibilities that combine PR work with other roles, rather than just becoming a PR practitioner or communications officer.
I have attached some photos from our GOPI VAID event which was held last month. I outlined it in my first blog titled ‘Fashion Fundraiser - more exciting than your average foundation!’, so be sure to check it out for more information.
Now its time for me to say farewell and good-luck to everyone participating in this blog! I hope you all have a fantastic experience, learn a lot and most importantly, have fun :)
2 comments:
It has been very entertaining reading your blogs during your internship! I know it might sound naive, but I didn't realise a lot of the things that the Theatre would do and be involved in.
Now that you have experienced something other than the traditional "PR Coordinator" role, what are your thoughts on where you'd like to be in your future in terms of PR? A role similar to what you've been doing in your internship? Or...?
:)
HI Marija!
My apologies, I have only just seen your comment! Thankyou, I never realised a theatre would be involved in so much either.
Now that ive had in experience in PR, I thought I would have a better idea of what I would like to do but sadly I don't! I enjoy the role itself, but I think I will begin looking for jobs outside the arts sector.
I hope that you enjoyed your internship and are having great success out there in the real world :)
Post a Comment