First week, first impressions.
But before starting off with an introduction about the company I have been lucky enough to be accepted in as an intern, and even before talking about the mission I received for that internship, I will briefly introduce myself to you.
My name is Joel, I'm 21 and I am a final year, exchange student from France, studying Mass Communication at Curtin University (Public Relations and Web Culture & Policies). Now, for several reasons, I went back to France at the end of 2010 and have since continued my degree from here, therefore looking for a placement around the area I live in, Paris (what a great city by the way..). Yet, I believe Australia hasn't leave me completely stony, and I really hope I'll be able to see Freemantle's and Rottnest's beautiful beaches again very soon.
But, that isn't the topic of this blog post (unfortunately). In fact, we're all here to talk about the same thing:
But before starting off with an introduction about the company I have been lucky enough to be accepted in as an intern, and even before talking about the mission I received for that internship, I will briefly introduce myself to you.
My name is Joel, I'm 21 and I am a final year, exchange student from France, studying Mass Communication at Curtin University (Public Relations and Web Culture & Policies). Now, for several reasons, I went back to France at the end of 2010 and have since continued my degree from here, therefore looking for a placement around the area I live in, Paris (what a great city by the way..). Yet, I believe Australia hasn't leave me completely stony, and I really hope I'll be able to see Freemantle's and Rottnest's beautiful beaches again very soon.
But, that isn't the topic of this blog post (unfortunately). In fact, we're all here to talk about the same thing:
Our first 20 - tiny - steps in the... WORKING life !
So let's break the suspens here. As I said it above, I have been lucky enough to find a placement in a very important company, but what's more, is that the placement completely corresponds to the specificity of my Mass Communication Bachelor, which incorporates both Public Relations and Web streams. I will explain why later on in the post.
It might not ring a bell for most of you (it did not for me, the first time I heard it): Sodexo, a global leader in quality of daily life solutions.
It might not ring a bell for most of you (it did not for me, the first time I heard it): Sodexo, a global leader in quality of daily life solutions.
" But... what does that mean exactly? "
Well, that was actually my very first question. And that is also what has kept me busy for most of my first day in the company. What could "daily life solutions" possibly mean? Quite vague, isn't it?
What do you guys think it means at first sight?
It wasn't clear enough for me. I have spent my first days trying to define what exactly were the company activities, how was it organised, who its clients were...
Luckily for me, the manager who welcomed me took the time to explain everything in details, she answered my questions everytime I had one and she gave me what they call a "Well'Com Kit", for all new comers in the company.
That was a great starting point. A USB key containing several essential elements on the company, the Communication Direction department, key figures, processes, what to do, how to do, where to go and who to ask for this or that.
I am sure some of these documents will be very helpful when I will start writing my final report. Of course, it is useless to tell you that they really helped me out at the beginning, as the company's organisation is very complex, especially when you are brand new to this huge unknown universe.
That is an interesting question by the way. Will I be able to integrate the team well? Will I have any difficulties to position my individuality in this very large and complex collectivity of people, groups and services? I will have to find my way around.
I used the expression "huge unknown universe" to describe Sodexo, because I think it is true, when you arrive in such an environment, without having heard of this company before, you have the unpleasant impression of being just a tiny little microscopic thing in front of a giantic and living entity.
Luckily for me, the manager who welcomed me took the time to explain everything in details, she answered my questions everytime I had one and she gave me what they call a "Well'Com Kit", for all new comers in the company.
That was a great starting point. A USB key containing several essential elements on the company, the Communication Direction department, key figures, processes, what to do, how to do, where to go and who to ask for this or that.
I am sure some of these documents will be very helpful when I will start writing my final report. Of course, it is useless to tell you that they really helped me out at the beginning, as the company's organisation is very complex, especially when you are brand new to this huge unknown universe.
That is an interesting question by the way. Will I be able to integrate the team well? Will I have any difficulties to position my individuality in this very large and complex collectivity of people, groups and services? I will have to find my way around.
I used the expression "huge unknown universe" to describe Sodexo, because I think it is true, when you arrive in such an environment, without having heard of this company before, you have the unpleasant impression of being just a tiny little microscopic thing in front of a giantic and living entity.
But, the best way to learn about Sodexo is when Sodexo speaks for itself. Here is a video describing Sodexo in a snapshot:
Now, for those of you who were too tired (lazy ?) to watch the video, here are some key figures :
"Our Mission: to improve quality of daily life, to contribute to the economic, social and environmental development"
"Our Core Values: service spirit, team spirit, spirit of progress"
"15,3 billion Euro, in consolidated revenue"
"34,000 sites
80 countries
50 Million consumers per day
N°1 Globally in most markets"
380,000 Employees
21st largest employer worldwide
"15,3 billion Euro, in consolidated revenue"
"34,000 sites
80 countries
50 Million consumers per day
N°1 Globally in most markets"
380,000 Employees
21st largest employer worldwide
Thus, the first challenge for me will be to "smoothly" integrate the team I will be attached to and get familiar with this whole - new - corporate world. I will tell you how this went in my next blog post!
As for the mission I have been assigned to, it looks pretty exciting though challenging. As part of the Group Brand & Communication Direction team, I will assist the Web Manager in writing and organising content for an upcoming online project.
Like I said it before, this is a great opportunity for me to associate the knowledge I have learned both in Public Relations and in Web units. With a highly frequented corporate website, the content I will write will be visible by everyone: medias, clients, visitors, consumers, suppliers, shareholders, employees, partners...
I will have to make sure I adapt the content to these audience and to the tool, that is the Web.
More to come in my next blog post!
Thanks for reading, and do not hesitate to post your comments and/or questions.
Joel.
As for the mission I have been assigned to, it looks pretty exciting though challenging. As part of the Group Brand & Communication Direction team, I will assist the Web Manager in writing and organising content for an upcoming online project.
Like I said it before, this is a great opportunity for me to associate the knowledge I have learned both in Public Relations and in Web units. With a highly frequented corporate website, the content I will write will be visible by everyone: medias, clients, visitors, consumers, suppliers, shareholders, employees, partners...
I will have to make sure I adapt the content to these audience and to the tool, that is the Web.
More to come in my next blog post!
Thanks for reading, and do not hesitate to post your comments and/or questions.
Joel.
No comments:
Post a Comment