Sunday, April 3, 2011

Responding to customers enquiries on my first day


Trevor Fana Monkgatusi

Hello everyone. My name is Trevor Fana Monkgatusi and I was granted the opportunity to attach at Department of Road Safety and Communication Maruapula branch Gaborone. It is a government Department under Ministry of Communication and Safety, which started operations since 1989. I did two months of internship between December and January. The whole experience was very enjoyable yet challenging considering the fact that I was given the freedom to express my self without too much pressure on my shoulders. My boss wanted me to enjoy it fully hence performing to the maximum.
I did a lot of Public Relations work, which I will later post on my blog but for now I will focus on the first job I did on my first day. I was given the task of Responding to customer’s enquiries. As a public relation officer for the department I had to assist customers either telephonically or in person with any information they need concerning the department, because our office is the only one that is allowed to pass out information. The procedure I was that when a customer one information either about one of our division I had to get his/her concern and get the relevant information from relevant person in charge and then get back to the customer either by mail, fax or email. First I was introduced to two ladies one was also in internship like me the one was a P.R officer who has been working on the department for the last six years. The two ladies taught me about the basic information about the department so I can be able to assists any customer requesting for help. It went all well although some customers we aggressive towards us, some calm we all managed to help them all. After lunch I was given a couple of books with the Department laws and regulation to familiarize myself with them. For that particular day I learned whole lot of staff about the Department Public Relations sector and that made me fell ready to tackle my internship program.


2 comments:

tshokologo teekay makolo said...

hey Trevor

i guess you had a great PR working experience as you got to address people physically and some through the phone which really tested your communication skills which we all know that they are one of the characters that a PR practitioner should excel on.getting to that i was also an intern in a government sector called DBS (the department of broadcasting and services )in Botswana and one thing that caught my attention in terms of PR in Botswana is that most people see it as a customer services department .the PR industry in Botswana is still new.so i was not surprised that you got to be part of the customer service carer .which is part of the PR practices but is not entirely
pr on its own. but i hope you got to explore other PR practices during your internship...and also hoping that in future the PR industry in Botswana will flourish and got to be seen as it is not just as a customer care unit..

enjoy your day Trevor ...

Buckz Pesi said...

hi Trevor and Teekay

I was also attached in the Ministry of Agriculture Botswana, under information and Public Relations, like Teekay said there is still a lot to be done PR more especially in the government ministries and departments. for example they should change the approach of how to address people of different age groups,they should introduce the use of social media to communicate to the youth. they should also take advantage of state radios and television and come up with programs to educate, inform and make people aware of what is happening in the government departments.