Saturday, April 30, 2011

Almost the end...


Sometimes I find a problem with work - problem being is that you're confused about what your boss wants you to do, or when you're sent work that seems out of your depth, but you don't want to seem clueless, so you suck it up anyway and try your best. Does anyone else get that?

So far, work has been pretty routine, although I have been given the task of updating the media clippings journal, which has taken me a pretty hefty amount of time to do as there are so many articles to sort through. I realised life as an intern is definitely not easy, you are given a lot of manual work such as compiling media contacts lists, dialing up the media (when they can be pretty curt), and updating media clippings. All in all, very time consuming tasks, but I feel it's what every intern goes through and it does help one learn and gain valuable experience.

Additionally, I've been accompanying my boss with a few of her client meetings, and it's so interesting to see how each company has its own different environment. Without naming names, a company can be very corporate, serious, stern and formal, while another can be full of snacks, jokes, and light-heartedness in their meetings. It certainly opens my eyes to see how office dynamics work. And also interesting to see how my boss engages them differently but always professionally.

Anyhow, I can't believe Curtin's term break is over, I feel as though the week went by in a day..... :(

Paige (Bentley)

3 comments:

James Watson said...

Paige you certainly are correct about life as an intern. I could repeat your words almost as my own. Unfortunately there is someone in the organisation that does need to do these tasks and if it wasn't for us being there as interns it would be done by other staff in the business. If we are there of course they are going to use us in that way.

A few weeks ago I had to visit about 30 companys to present certificates of appreciation for their support towards our Op Shop Ball and once again even then there is definately a certain vibe between organisations. It was certainly a mixed bag and I could not actually stereotype as, for example, one large financial institution was extremely serious with not even a smile while another was full of laughs and smiles the whole time.

This could only be seen as the corporate culture within each organisation and also the other people they work with along with the physical environment the office is in. I found dark offices or offices that are black & white were often extremely serious meanwhile more open offices with plenty of colour had very welcoming staff.

One other important factor is the people themselves. While the culture may be set a certain way it is up to the individual to either embrace that culture or for them to show their own personality and values. I know at my full time place of employment our culture is to show our true selves and show off our warmth, smiles and fun so there certainly can be plenty of reasons why some meets you have experienced were very serious and down to business while others seemed almost like a party.

In said...

Hey Paige,

I have to agree with you on the bit about doing menial jobs. Unfortunately, there is only one public relations officer in the organisation that I am doing my internship in, hence, as the only public relations intern, I guess it is my job to assist her in doing the time consuming task like media monitoring, etc.

I guess it is inevitable for us interns to be in charge of the less important and more time consuming tasks as our supervisors might have more important things to settle. However, we are both fortunate enough that although these menial jobs are sometimes frustrating, it is somehow, PR related and are not just some random admin job.

In

14237782

Cathy Kong said...

I have the same feeling as yours! At the beginning of the placement, I thought that companies won't give difficult tasks to an intern since they are still lacking of experienec. However, during my placement, I have been given some difficult tasks which request in a high standard of quality. It has made me down and very depressing. Luckily, I have finally complete all my tasks in a satisfied level. I would admit that, even work is hard, giving confident and being hard working can eventually lead you to the success! Cheer up for you and good luck!