Tuesday, May 10, 2011

FIRST PHASE!!

FIRST PHASE!!

Hello everyone! My name is Mariam from Limkokwing University; I did my 2months internship at Salina and Associates Public Relations, a small but fast growing company which was established in 2000 in Petaling Jaya and offers public relations services to various companies in Malaysia. It is a way out company, where people and clients are their top priority as it offers clients advice, skills and knowledge base therefore allowing its clients to focus on what to do best. The organization itself is rather small with the office which consisted of six co-workers and myself. I worked alongside with the executive account manager Lydia Wong, she was my supervisor.

Working at Salina & Associates PR was a great experience as everyday I learned new things. My first day at Salina & Associates was a little bit hassle-free, they wanted me to feel at ease and it helped as I was little nervous and challenged not knowing what to do and I didn’t want to make any mistake. I was introduced to the staff, they are very friendly, and it took me seconds to tie with them. I was also introduced to the organization clients, as I was going to work with them time and again I needed to know more about them.

To begin with, I was placed under media monitoring sector, which means everyday I have to read newspapers and look out for articles corresponding to any of the organization’s clients, if found any, I had to make media clippings which were later sent to the client, providing feedback. I arrived at Salina and Associates PR when they were too busy as they were many events coming up, I was introduced to other task like inviting the media, which at first seemed to be the toughest but later everything went well and thanks to my supervisor who taught me to do it in a professional way
I was really lucky to have such a great supervisor; Lydia always made sure I have something keeping me occupied. She constantly asked for feedback and she did her best to give me a range of tasks to expand my PR knowledge and get experience in as many areas as possible.

More coming!!!

Mariam LUCT

2 comments:

Erica said...

Hello, at first I thought I was the only one who had to do media clippings for my company, at least now I know that it is normal for companies to ask us to do that. I never knew, and I thought that it was going to be mundane just reading, but I found out that there are some pretty interesting articles. It is good that the tasks given to you are manageable, I know what it feels like being at a lost on how to start getting the necessary names and contact details, I had to do that too, but I guess it's all about taking the initiative as well. It'll probably help you to be more confident and when you realised that what you did was the right thing to do, even better!

kitso mokonopi said...

hello Marriam,i am glad you enjoyed your work.I am doing my internship under the sports department in Limkokwing.I thought it was going to be easy and smooth since i am doing in school,but it is not all roses i can tell you.Just like you,i was so scared on my first day.I was introduced to the staff and had to wait with nothing to do until the next day.The next day i was given a task of planning a dance competition proposal.It was not an easy thing since wen had to keep making amends on the report,and even today,we are still making amends...it is not easy to work but it is a great experience...we also have to attend all sporting events,register people for all sporting competitions and all...it is not as easy as it seems.