Tuesday, May 10, 2011

What I thought then, what I know (Part5)

Lesson 9: learn from the best

The head of the company I worked for is the single most inspiring person I’ve met in my life. Her attitude towards business is exceptional and listening to here in PR team meetings was like going to the most informative lecture you could imagine.


She spoke about the fact you have to LOVE your job and have a passion for the industry to survive in PR. She said the key to being successful was to understand the reason behind every activity you undertake and to be constantly question how you could make it more innovative or efficient.


I cant do her justice in words, you’d have to meet her to feel her infectious energy but it taught me the type of worker (and eventually boss) I want to be. Truly priceless experience.


What I thought then:I hope I get to learn more about the industry


What I know now: Wisdom is priceless!


Handy link: inspiring TED talks by PR pros





Lesson 10: Work hard, play hard and be exceptional!

This lesson is the one ill leave you with. When I started my internship I didn’t know whether PR was for me. Having never worked in the industry I didn’t really have a concept of what went on in a PR office.


After my first week I got home on Friday and told mum id found what I want to do with my life. I cant give you an anecdote about a eureka moment because I didn’t have one. It just felt like I was where I belong and I know I would be exceptional it at (my company's agencies slogan is work hard, play hard, be exceptional)



Even if this were all I took from my internship, I would consider it a success.


What I thought then: I don’t know if PR is for me...


What I know now: This is what I want to do with my life!

1 comment:

Matt said...

Haha great read Abbs! I finished up myself with The Hub yesterday and can definitely relate to quite a few of those experiences. Lesson 4 in particular was a big one for me as well. As an intern you’re well aware where you sit on the food chain. At the beginning you’re very intent on proving your worth, and conceding that you don’t fully understand something goes completely against that urge. You learn pretty quickly though to just swallow your pride and ask - no one will ever begrudge you for ensuring you do your job properly. Besides... you’re just the intern 


Congratulations on discovering what you want to do with your life - thought you were always going to be a journalist? ;) My placement has helped me figure out my career path as well, but instead I'm running in the opposite direction toward marketing :D

All the best for your future!

Matt