Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Halfway Through

Hi everyone! I am currently on Day 13 of my placement at the Faculty of Health Sciences.

Here are some skills that I have gained so far:

•Articles and Media Releases
Check on how a publication wants a story to be submitted. In general, it is always articles for print or media releases for television or radio. However, it is a good habit to double check how they want it, unless, you don’t want a chance of your story published.

•New rules of PR and Marketing
PR and Marketing do cross over all the time to this day. Do not feel frustrated or unhappy if you are doing some marketing work during your placement and not creative and exciting things of PR. In the real world, you are going to have to do market research, admin work, database management, and a lot of research on events on how to market the company's products or services.

•Be Initiative
Don’t wait to be approached by your supervisors. If your supervisor gives you a task, always update your progress so that he/she knows you are on track. It is also good to initiate feedback from your supervisors if they don’t give it to you. This allows you to have a better understanding on how the organization works and how they want things done, basically, their organization personality.

•Speak Up
Don’t be scared to speak up and voice your thoughts. Supervisors are more than willing to answer all your questions. Do not attempt to dive into a topic you are unsure about, only to get feedback that you have done everything wrongly.

1 comment:

Cathy Kong said...

Thanks for the useful advices, I do agree with your saying and I found it is useful for me! I especailly agree to speak up in front of the supervisors since it may stand you out and ensure to get everything understandable. Besides, I think it is also very important to speak up between the colleagues as it enhance the internet communication and help complete the task more smoothly.