Since completing a WA media list for our non-profit client my role has more or less returned to normal, consisting mainly of tracking sponsorship statuses and making changes to Over The Top's website.
I've also spent time writing up a comprehensive competitor analysis for The Hub, which they need to submit as part of their nomination for the Telstra Small Business Awards. Digressing momentarily, it's been eye-opening to see just how many marketing/communications agencies there are operating in Perth; the market is very saturated. One of my long-term goals has always been to one day open up my own marketing & communications agency, but now I'm reconsidering!
Back on topic, the Over The Top Expedition held its first significant event last weekend, with the Expedition boat christened at Royal Perth Yacht Club. Local Perth media were invited along and OTT ambassador Ernie Dingo gave an interview. Pictures are now up on the website (http://www.overthetop.com.au/pages/2854/images).
While I wasn't at the event, the pictures highlighted to me the more rewarding side of PR. We've worked so hard at gaining sponsorship (personally I've written over a dozen cover letters) and preparing the media strategy for the Expedition, but as yet very little has come of it all. But actually seeing the boat -sponsor logos and all - with journalists in attendance, was very satisfying. All of a sudden, your hard work actually matters - you've achieved something. This is what practitioners live for, and it's been a relief to enjoy a bit of it before I finish my placement next week!
No comments:
Post a Comment