Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Back to Business

I have just spent the last hour reading over everyones experiences from the last few weeks and commenting on a few blogs and it is funny being able to nod my head over and over thinking that I am in the exact same situation.

One comment made to one of my previous blogs is that they are suprised that my work load previously had been simply doing events for the Op Shop Ball and I replied to that post in regards to what was taking place. To sum it up on this post, working in a small team with limited resources certain priorities are made at any one time. At that time the Op Shop Ball being the current event and also Anglicare WA's largest event was an all hands on deck affair. Communication is still extremely vital and this was taking place internally and externally regarding the event with guests, sponsors, potential sponsors, staff and other organisations and parties.

Now that the Op Shop Ball is well and truly over with all the post-event tasks being completed its back to business and the standard tasks that we complete in the department. I had the fun post-event task as the intern to input every guests details into a spreadsheet for future campaigns and this took quite a few days for the 800+ guests to be entered.

Current campaigns and events that we are dealing with in the office are the Knit In for Anglicare WA and also the Winter Appeal. I am completing my reports on a bequests program for Anglicare WA and also starting a comprehensive Public Relations Plan for the fundraising and marketing department. There are plenty of strategies that I am very excited to be able to detail and hopefully have the department implement in their future campaigns and events.

One issue which I raised in the office today was the use of Twitter and whether it has come up as something we can use at Anglicare WA. The reason for this was a blog post I read about making sure the media are told the bad news before they find out themselves and this is exactly what Westpac did today with their data centre issues which caused many of their electronic banking services to be down for a few hours. They continually issued updates regarding the situation on Twitter which was the most instant and direct method of customers obtaining up to date information.

With Anglicare WA offering so many services it will be easy to ensure that the Twitter account would receive constant updates and never be outdated and can also add views to current topics that are taking place or being discussed online. Due to current IT access policy until the IT system gets updated with the security blocks it will not be possible to implement Twitter as Twitter needs to be unblocked as it is currently not accessible for staff on Anglicare WA's network.

Anyway this is where I must leave you for now. Only 4 days to go in my 20 days of this internship, I tell you doing this part time has certainly meant it has dragged as I did my first day back at the end of January. At least this has given me plenty of experience in a wide range of topics and being able to see the office working through a long term period.

Hope everyone is well and enjoy the rest of the week!

No comments: