Hello again fellow interns! Ignore the ‘dark’ tone of my title; nothing morbid or life threatening in any sort will be discussed in this post.
So, I realised in the first week of my internship, one must be ‘shy-less’ when it comes to media calling and event pitching. I never thought I had such a fear of calling random (note:media) people until this internship. For my first call, my hands started to tremble, my voice squeaks up a few notes and I started to stutter. This was the end result of my physical state after my first call. And I thought, there should be a better way to experiencing this, to be more strategic and all. Do you all experience the same ‘symptoms/side effects‘ that I’ve encountered?
I’ve figured a way to self-medicate! That is to come up with a script, and list the main points that the media should know about and pitch it around angles developed on a publicity grid. By doing so, all the fear and trembling hands started to disappear for me, and media calling has become a more enjoyable experience. I’ve also learnt to disengage from the curt and crude way some media folks tend to respond in. This is one of the main hurdles that I had to get over quickly when I first started on the film festival.
But on a more positive note, plenty of learning experience from just making media calls. It opens you up, and easy banter would come along smooth the next time around.
Warmest,
Dora Thang
14513411
Dora Thang
14513411
2 comments:
Hi Dora. Totally agree with you - Being shy is so not an option, be it when it comes to media calling or in any situation at work. What I have also learnt during my internship is that, it's always better to ask than to sit there and wait for answers to drop down from the sky. My boss sees my questions as a form of initiative, as in I take the first step to learn, instead she telling me what I should be learning. Of course it is also always better to try and solve the problems yourself first, before asking. (:
Abigail Ang
14553158
Hi Abigail!
Exactly, I feel that working in this industry, you have to strip it all away, shyness of course.
My boss sees my questions as a form of initiative too and though more work might always seem daunting, the challenge is the fun part. And knowing that it can be accomplished, is the best feeling.
Hope all is well with you! :D
Dora
Post a Comment