----posted on behalf of Dora Thang------
And to sum up my experience at Rice Communications, it was a complete eye-opener, experience-charged and fulfilling internship.
I've attempted things that I never thought I'll be able to accomplish, which is planning and executing a public relations plan for a film festival.
I've got three experience points that I believe will be essential for anyone who is planning for a career in the PR industry.
1) Like the new Arctic Monkey's single, "Suck it and See". Quite literally speaking, whatever tasks that is delegated to you, you just have to suck it (up) and see. Even if it is unpleasant like making media calls and receiving negative responses in the process, all the patience and hard work will pay off in the end.
2) All work and no play makes you a dull PR practitioner - there has to be a bit of fun in everything you do (maybe not so much for crisis management) and I feel that it is through finding the 'fun' and enjoyable side of things in this industry that will really make a the distinction between work or passion-fueled work.
3) Find an industry of interest - the industry clients that the agency serves are the ones whose work you will ended up with. So if you want an enjoyable experience, find an industry that you are interested in and the tasks allocated will not seem like chores!
Ok, that's it I guess, three months into this and maybe a long way more to go? :D
I wish all of you fellow interns, an enjoyable career and fun-filled days!
If you would like to contact me, for a chat or just having easy banter about work, you can find me on Facebook -> [Dora Thang]
Or for the interns on the other campuses, if you are planning to pop by Singapore for leisure or work, I would be glad to help!
Best regards,
Dora Thang
Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://printernship-reflections.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Sounds like an exciting place you carried out your experience. I also had the oppurutnity to be placed into an exciting internship at the art gallery.
I think every placement you do wouldve helped you if it was your first type of work experience or placement oppurtunity as I think there is so much more to the practical side of things in PR that no matter how many years of studying it just cant quite match to real-life experience.
I can also relate to your "suck it and see" theory as when I first began my internship I was handed the dull and boring jobs I wanted to be out there in the action!!!
Although thats another lesson to be learnt. Work hard and you get results! Especially in the PR industry you have to work your way up and prove your abilities within your work ethic and commitment before you can relax and enjoy yourself.
I was lucky to find my placement at an organisation which I was interested in. I think for your first placement its not as crucial but in the future try to tailor your interests into the PR industry, as the passion for the topic or task will shine through and creating and developing ideas will come easily.
I believe PR is a career not a job and this entails a lot of hardwork well worth it once reached your goal.
Succes will come to those who wait and patient enough to sit through the hardwork!
Hi Cody!
Thank you for your comments!
I guess it is a common experience that we all would face, 'suck it and see'.
Glad you found an internship at an organisation of your interest. I am actually liking my internship quite a bit, as much as there are the dull and chore moments.
I absolutely agree with you, with regards to tailoring my interests into the PR industry, I am definitely keeping that in mind. :D
Patience is a virtue for sure, but also more of a reward-reaper I feel. ;)
Take care!
Hi Dora,
I very much agree with your pointers especially the 3rd one!
Working in an industry which you have an interest in is so much more fun and meaningful. But in life, we always have to make sacrifices but I guess its the experience that counts.
I'm currently having internship with ACRES in their comms department and I'm so motivated by this team of only 13 people because they are so passionate in their work a theynd it makes you feel good and they appreciate you.
I think I still have alot more to learn in the PR industry because in-house PR department is still somehow different from how a PR consultancy work!
I'm glad you enjoyed your internship too! (:
Cheers!!
Post a Comment