Monday, May 2, 2011

Sandrin-CTI-media release importance of follow-ups

Hi everyone,

So during my Internship at Amnesty I had the opportunity to witness the organisation of a concert and help in the collaboration of the concert. I sent a media release to the press. This experience helped to understand the importance of timing in media industry.

The media release was sent on Tuesday, while the concert was on Friday. Of course not all media contacted did a media coverage due to the bad timing. However, certain important media did coverage of the event. I learnt the importance of having contacts with journalists and of course follow up.

After sending media release, I phoned the different media to know if they had well received the mail and if they intended to cover the event or not. Journalists are always busy, you have to phone them several times and mange to be nice at the same time...this was quite difficult but I got through.

Concert was covered by newspapers and radio one made an announcement on the day of the concert.

1 comment:

FLORANCE KALAEMANG said...

hello Sandrin

My name is Florance kalaemang, I'm in my final semester at Limkokwing University in Malaysia. I'm from Botswana, in the southern Africa , just above South Africa,where the world football cup was held last year.

I did my internship in Botswana for two Months . I got the chance to do media invitation for a press conference. I wrote a press release just to brief the media what the conference will be about and also attach a formal letter of invitation.

I invited them through fax and sending letters directly to media houses because we did the invitation very late. We had to confirm with the minister and Police commissioner if they can make it on the time chosen, and the commissioner had a very tight schedule so he responded very late.

I did a followed up with a phone call in the morning of the conference to check on the attendance. The attendee was quite good.

During my internship i realized the importance of media relations. As public relations practitioner it its always advisable to have a good relationship with journalist, at our organization we had few journalist that we always work with.

So Sandrin ,i have a question for you ,in Botswana we pay for almost every press release that we place in newspaper,do your guys do the same in your country?