Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Week 3 Style Guide

Week 3 at Town of Cambridge this week focus has been on developing a new style guide for the town. To do this I've been looking at what is included in the City of Gosnell's Style Guide. The Town currently has a style guide produced by a design firm though this solely focuses on the use of the Town's logo. The idea is that the new style guide will include examples of all office stationery such as business cards and templates such as letterheads and media releases. As well as printed marketing material such as flyers brochures use of images, information on the various out centres and how to upload information on the town website.
As part of this I critiqued a number of the Town current brochures and flyers and was shocked to discover typos, excessive text, four font types on one page, clip art and out of focus pictures. Though what annoyed the Corporate Communications officer the most was the use of the font comic sans! So I came up with a list of what I liked about brochures and this list was given to Key 2 Design who will design a new brochure template for the rangers and pool. The man from Key 2 Design saw the Style Guide I was working on and said it looked very good. I look forward to seeing the brochure designs they come up with!

No comments: