Tuesday, May 10, 2011

What I thought then, What I know (Part 2)

Lesson 3: Time (and PR) waits for no man

The nature of the relationship between PR and media means that deadlines are key. If you don’t get a call through to an editor to notify them of a photo opportunity, they wont send out a cameraman and there won’t be a pretty picture for you to show the client in the next days paper. Same goes for media kits- if you don’t lick, stamp and post every single envelope by EOB on Friday then they don’t get sent till Monday, arriving by Wednesday when the events Thursday. You get the Idea.


So- when someone asks you to go to post office, book a courier or send media kits- get a deadline! Having studied Journalism I cottoned onto this idea pretty quickly but its definitely a vital lesson of my experience


What I thought then: Deadlines apply more for journalists than PR Agencies



What I know now: They are equally if not more important!


Handy link:The importance of deadlines




Lesson 4: To ask or not to ask? That is the question

Something I really, really struggled with in the first few weeks was this, should a) Show initiate by finding my own solution to problems or when I was unsure or b) ask questions so I know exactly how it should be done and follow precisely to brief.



Obviously completing tasks exactly how your boss would like (therefore b) is ideal, but what happens when that same boss has 8 meetings, 2 reports, an interview and endless phone calls to take and that’s all before her morning espresso?



I’m a perfectionist (to the point of borderline obsessive compulsive) so I found that I was constantly seeking direction in what I was doing so it would be EXACTLY what they wanted.


What I thought then: Ask- better to be safe than sorry.

What I know now: Sometime you need to make a valued judgment and show you can think for yourself.


This is DEFINITELY not a black and white issue though so I’d be interested on what you guys think… to ask or not to ask?

handy link: Questions you SHOULD ask your boss

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

to ask or not to ask
That was a concept I struggled with during my internship too. At first I didn't ask enough questions and became overwhelmed and unsure of what was expected of me. However my supervisor was very friendly and would drop by my office and encouraged me to visit him to chat and check up on my progress and to make sure I understand. This was important as he had a particular way in which he liked everthing done. The article's question what can I do to help you is one I found myself asking to my supervisor and others and was appreciated.